Micro Seiki DQX-500 Turntable resto-mod

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Houston….we have a problem!!!
Sooo, the original MA-707 arm that came with the unit had a broken head shell and was in rough shape. I thought I had found a nice replacement 707, well I thought wrong. Honestly I didn’t inspect it very well when it arrived, just verified that all the pieces were there and nothing looked broken. Today I looked at it closely and it appears that it came from a flooded house or at least was left out in the weather. The bearings are frozen and the anti-skate filament is broken. I got the bearings freed but I need to remove them from the brass center tube and it is badly corroded. I have them soaking in penetrating oil but the bearings are SS and the tube is brass, so I think there is some electrolysis that went on. Any ideas for freeing them from the tube? C4A0244B-CDDF-46F7-A77A-C92B05325D6B.jpeg D7965B7E-8A6D-4F75-B18B-495850907F6E.jpeg 987FBE8A-F8C2-417B-A607-B0A5FA1165E1.jpeg 0D4BF82C-7806-4A6D-B3B9-6C79A729FD48.jpeg

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Aerokroil....if that won't do it....don't know what will. Try a hair dryer for some direct heat after soaking in Aerokroil..
I have heard of this stuff many times from several Gunsmiths but kept forgetting to order some. Just ordered both the aerosol and the liquid. Not cheap but hopefully worth it. Thanks

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
PB Blaster is pretty good and easier to get.

if you can run the part in penetrating oil and the oil jar in water in your ultrasonic, then you’ll be gettin’ some action.
Yup, was thinking the same but of course I will add the Vanilla.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
We have Lovejoy couplers on every recycle pump we own. Close tolerance, straight shaft set screw fit. On a lot of transfer.pumps too. Z few squirts of Aerokroil is wayyyyyyyyyy more effective than a whole can of PB. For some reason it gets in where this other shit won't. Always carry a can in the field, it's my go to make me.look good can of miracle shit...

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
We have Lovejoy couplers on every recycle pump we own. Close tolerance, straight shaft set screw fit. On a lot of transfer.pumps too. Z few squirts of Aerokroil is wayyyyyyyyyy more effective than a whole can of PB. For some reason it gets in where this other shit won't. Always carry a can in the field, it's my go to make me.look good can of miracle shit...
SOLD!

Lee, word of mouth referrals based on real-world experience trumps all the marketeering in the world. Just got my can ordered. No doubt it will be an easter egg in future equipment teardown photos... :0)

Check this out - I snagged it from the amazon web page that I bought my can from:

Unsieze the day - Aero Kroil.jpg

That motto really resonates with anyone who's ever been mano-a-mano with anything that's both made of unobtanium & it's seized tight...

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I am not out of the woods yet, I need to figure out how to reattach the broken anti-skate wire from the spring to the arm pivot. I was thinking of maybe using something like what Fly fishermen use to tie their lures but don’t know anything about Fly fishing. Whatever I use has to be really fine and strong. Any ideas?