Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

nelsress

Journeyman
Oh!!!

When plugged directly into the wall..what's the bias?
You mean without running through the variac!!! I don't know, I'll have to check and make sure it's the same or close. Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't thinking about the fact that I had a variable transformer between the amp and the wall! Thanks, I'll check that too.

nelsress

Journeyman
Alrighty then!!

I got 0.018 DC offset on both channels, that's not too high, is it? When plugged straight into the wall the bias only went down a little from 3.55 to 3.47 so I just nudged it back up to 3.55 for the hell of it. The LEDs are all working and it looks like I'm ready to apply a signal and a load to this baby!!! Any other tips/precautions before I do so? Thank you guys so much!!

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I got 0.018 DC offset on both channels, that's not too high, is it? When plugged straight into the wall the bias only went down a little from 3.55 to 3.47 so I just nudged it back up to 3.55 for the hell of it. The LEDs are all working and it looks like I'm ready to apply a signal and a load to this baby!!! Any other tips/precautions before I do so? Thank you guys so much!!
No it is fine. The bias should have been a negative reading, not critical but that is what it usually is due to the front end configuration (NPN).

nelsress

Journeyman
A pic or two

I was so excited I closed it up before taking any shots of the LED light board and its connections but here are a couple of it powered on. Ain't she purty? :)

WOPL 400 Complete 001.jpg WOPL 400 Complete 003.jpg

nelsress

Journeyman
No Nelson it certainly doesn't anymore , and you've certainly made it your's!!
Grinnin' from ear to ear and got a few goose bumps crankin' Brothers in Arms as we speak. It's almost perfect-I forgot to adjust the meters so I've got to do that yet as they're a little off but I'll do that when I tear down the old rack and put everything in the new one this week. I can live with it until then. Thank you Lee, Joe, Doug, Don, Nav, Jason, and anybody I forgot! It sounds really, really good already and it's not broken in yet, and I'm only running it through my vintage Jensen drivers in Heathkit AE-40 cabinets (see last photo). Can't wait to hook up the ESS, Ohm Walsh and Infinities to this baby, I think I've got my system down pretty good now. The tube Dynaco PAS 4 seems to be a very good pre for this amp. I've gotta get back in the living room, Dire Straits sounds great but not as good a room away as it does in the sweet spot!! Who says an amp is an amp and they all sound the same!?!?

WOPL 400 Installed 001.jpg WOPL 400 Installed 002.jpg WOPL DC Relay 023.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Pretty exciting huh?? Don't forget to monitor heatsink temps till ya get a feel for how warm it's going to run...

nelsress

Journeyman
Yep, sure is!

Pretty exciting huh?? Don't forget to monitor heatsink temps till ya get a feel for how warm it's going to run...
On my laptop in the living room now so I can listen and "talk". Lee, I'm assuming I check it by just touching them, avoiding those pesky, naked transistors?

nelsress

Journeyman
Sounds like fun

Yes Nelson, just reach out and fondle those buggers....
Maybe I can print out a pic of one of Nav's avatars and put it on the heatsinks! ;) So far they're cool to the touch and it's perched on top of a tube preamp but I'm sure they'll heat up. These Jensens never sounded so good, amazing work Joe, I'm sorta speechless.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Maybe I can print out a pic of one of Nav's avatars and put it on the heatsinks! ;) So far they're cool to the touch and it's perched on top of a tube preamp but I'm sure they'll heat up. These Jensens never sounded so good, amazing work Joe, I'm sorta speechless.
That is the reaction we work for Nelson... :)

nelsress

Journeyman
In between tracks there is a low level hum that isn't noticeable when the music's playing, will that diminish as it breaks in or is that normal? I'm not listening at what you would call low levels here. Not ear-bleeding but not low either, sort of a medium to high level. It is very low level and doesn't diminish the listening experience whatsoever, just wondering. This sounds freakin' awesome Mark Knopfler's guitar and vocals, the organ, the drums, amazing. The bass is just how I like it, there but not in the forefront, crisp and clean. Anyone thinking about either doing this or having it done-stop thinking about it!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
In between tracks there is a low level hum that isn't noticeable when the music's playing, will that diminish as it breaks in or is that normal? I'm not listening at what you would call low levels here. Not ear-bleeding but not low either, sort of a medium to high level. It is very low level and doesn't diminish the listening experience whatsoever, just wondering. This sounds freakin' awesome Mark Knopfler's guitar and vocals, the organ, the drums, amazing. The bass is just how I like it, there but not in the forefront, crisp and clean. Anyone thinking about either doing this or having it done-stop thinking about it!!!
Make sure that isn't noise coming from the input source Nelson. A power amp will amplify any noise it is being fed, even hum.

If the noise exists with no input cables attached then you have to tackle it within the power amp. If it is there only when you have a source connected to it, then you have to tackle it within the source.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
It should be a black hole for noise between tracks. Having your amp on top of your preamp may not be the right thing to do. The PL 's transformer throws a large magnetic field.