nelsress begins his WOPL 400 project

nelsress

Journeyman
After getting my PL 400 from Lee last Friday it sat for about a week before I started into it a little. It needed a good cleaning so that's what I went for first. Regretfully I forgot to take any before photos and it didn't look bad from a pace or two away but when I started getting into it, I got a lot of dirt off and it's looking pretty sweet now.

I ordered the DC protect circuit from Don a few days ago and suspect it will arrive this week some time. I also got in touch with Jim to ask him what exactly I need to order to go FC on this beauty and he gave me the scoop on that and I expect to order those items in the next week or so.

Now it's time to peruse the WOPL 400 threads and see in what order all this stuff needs to be done to make it easiest. 007.jpg 005.jpg 004.jpg 008.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg

nelsress

Journeyman
Thanks guys

Nelson that cleaned up rather well...

Thanks Lee, I was pretty happy with how it cleaned up. She'll be a nice lookin' WOPL 400. Maybe not as nice looking as Nav's avatar ('maybe' my a$$!), but pretty nonetheless.

Damn and I bought that Hickok specifially for this project! No wonder I couldn't get any microhmoe, curly or larry readings from the it when I hooked it up to the PL400!! :)

mjstriker

Journeyman
Tagline
I love the sound of WOPL in the morning
Great looking amp. I remember being so excited getting everything ready to WOPL the 400. You are going to be amazed when it's all said and done. Looking forward to another WOPL journey. Good luck!!

nelsress

Journeyman
Really, you like nude photos, Nav???

Jbekva, you took the words right out of my mouth but since I just met Nav, I'm glad you said it first! :)

Thanks MJ.

I was wondering, do you guys who have done the WOPL 400 FC or even the quasi-comp, leave the output transistor covers off to help it run cooler? If not and you recommend using the covers, are any of you handy fabricator types making them? Thanks guys.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Jbekva, you took the words right out of my mouth but since I just met Nav, I'm glad you said it first! :)

:tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Thanks MJ.

I was wondering, do you guys who have done the WOPL 400 FC or even the quasi-comp, leave the output transistor covers off to help it run cooler? If not and you recommend using the covers, are any of you handy fabricator types making them? Thanks guys.
I'm not 100% sure but exposing your collector may be illegal. :tongue:

I would assume that having the covers off will allow better airflow but it does expose your collectors and you don't want to short those to chassis. I haven't seen a thread on the covers so someone else will need to step in.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You can fabricato some out of some PAP ( perforated aluminum plate) pretty easy actually.. Concerned for pets or kids??

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
FWIW, I have never run into a situation where I had to remove the covers for heat. When she gets warm, Jer's fan setup cools it down immediately