nelsress begins his WOPL 400 project

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Man with too many speakers
thanks guys. I will figure out the power thing. I try to balance the appearance with the practical as much as possible and things like additional power conditioners are not often very attractive.

Also, god forbid something happens that I need to take it into my tech, but is there schematics or something that a tech would like to have so they know what is meant for what where?

Also, if you know the bunker is there, why are you in it?

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!

Because I aim for it - usually doesn't go where I aim........

Stick around - I'm sure I will have more complaints.....its the course, not me!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hey, I recognize that music loving woman with the awesome lingerie avatar of drugolf...I'm in Ontario, OR, they are in BOISE and was that ever seen on AK or another site I might have been on, Lansing Heritage even?

(wild guess, I know but I've been just about everywhere, like the song)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
thanks guys. I will figure out the power thing. I try to balance the appearance with the practical as much as possible and things like additional power conditioners are not often very attractive.

Also, god forbid something happens that I need to take it into my tech, but is there schematics or something that a tech would like to have so they know what is meant for what where?

There are for the backplanes and driver board, but for the point to point wiring of the amp itself, probably not, if your tech ever has a question have him post it up, he'll get lots of help here...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm a golf course Architect.

How do you guys power these on and off within your system? Seems like I need a stand alone something so I can power it on last and off first etc.. I have everything connected to an APC strip now and it is a pain to get to the button too.
On a WOPL 1000, I'd never try plugging in to a switched outlet on another component... Fry City.... A 400 you could probably get away with. The power switches are kinda pussy in my book so I use a strip to save on the old ass switches. I try to replace switches if I have them but still use the strip.

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Hey, I recognize that music loving woman with the awesome lingerie avatar of drugolf...I'm in Ontario, OR, they are in BOISE and was that ever seen on AK or another site I might have been on, Lansing Heritage even?

(wild guess, I know but I've been just about everywhere, like the song)
:occasion5:Hey neighbor!
Found this WOPL over at AK.

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Okay, thanks guys on the various point.
Do any of you use/have your amps in the wood case? I would like to if okay and I can find one. My guess is that these run a lot cooler than they used to.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I used to work at a commercial photo lab and we had this gigantic copy camera, with lights that put out around 4000 watts. We used a small 2 breaker box with a master on/off lever on the side to turn them on and off. Even then, we'd burn that box out every couple of years due to the amount of juice that surged thru that thing. We eventually moved on to a Motor Control on/off switch. Apparently they're designed for that big initial surge of power required to start an electric motor. Might be a good option for a WOPL power switch.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yeah, a 10hp Allen Bradley motor starter ought to work......they also have definate purpose contactors....our big shops have large contactors for the lights.....

nelsress

Journeyman
Hey David

Glad you found your way here and glad you're appreciating your new amp. I haven't hooked my RCA LC-1 speakers to anything that sounds as good yet, hopefully that will change!! I've still got my PL700 that I plan to rebuild using Joe's boards and mods so I can get that sound back again at a later date. As you've already discovered, there are a bunch of great, extremely helpful and knowledgeable guys here. This should probably be called the all audio, no attitude forum but that moniker was already taken. ;)

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Thanks Nelson and yes, it is a fantastic sounding amp. UP to this point I have used it to drive several different sets of speakers including AR3's, ADS L1590 and the ADS 910's I just finished restoring yesterday. All sound great. Really good punch on the bottom end at all levels while the mids and highs are buttery smooth to compliment the strengths of the various speakers. I really like the 1590's with it. My room is only 12x12 so thos speakers may be a little big but so far so good.

Purchasing this amp was a planned endeavor. I have been selling off my Adcom amps (GFA5500) I was using in a passive vertical biamp set-up in a larger room for the ADS and also AR9's that I have. It sounded great but I found myself never using it as it was in our family game and theater room and positioned on the side wall. The room setup for theater use just wasn't conducive to a good listening room.

My main listening lounge is a nice room decorated in the spirit of mid century modernism. The gear is all situated on the side wall on a beautiful Poul Cadovius Royal wall system consisting of various free floating teak cabinets and shelves. The Phase Linear is a great match to the room (thus the question about a wood case).

I will probably bring the AR9's into the room which by all practical reasoning is ridiculous because of their size. Just want to see how the 400 and they treat each other. The 9's are beautiful sounding speakers and I am disappointed they wont be in my rotation of speaker rolling. they are in need of major cabinet refinishing so they will get stored away with that prospect for now.

When I bring them back out, I will be looking to go with more power. Do any of you use 2 WOPL's? Like I said above, I was using 2 big Adcoms in a passive vertical biamp set-up that was nice. Maybe I just move up to a 700 or 1000?

Thanks!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Oh yes, a couple WOPL 1000's are definitely in your future. The dynamic headroom available from a 700 is instantly noticeable when moving up from a 400, even when using something as efficient as my K's....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Someday, I will tri-amp the K's with a 700 and 2 400's through my Pioneer D-23........someday.....

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Someday, I will tri-amp the K's with a 700 and 2 400's through my Pioneer D-23........someday.....
I know your K's are much more efficient than my Ohm Is, but I have visions of tri amping my Is, using a 700B WOPL for the woofers, PL-400 for the mids, and the amp in my SX-950 for the highs.

Probably make a mess of things sound wise, and hard to get right, but it would be cool.

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My Is have the ability to bi-amp built in, may try that first using the 700B WOPL, and the PL-400.

External crossover required crossed at 90 Hz or so.

500 WPC from the WOPL 700B below 90 Hz would shake some plaster loose.

The Ohm Is are rated to 1000 WPC (4 ohms) so thats pretty awesome.

I have admired the Ohm Is as a teenager, found a pair on Craigs list when I was 49, replaced the Woofers with OHM factory woofers,Ohm is still supporting nearly 40 year old speakers, very happy with them.