nelsress begins his WOPL 400 project

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
That one is pretty light duty Mark...
There are some kick ass 10 and 20A Gen Rad ones on flea bay for less money.
Bought and paid for now- too late...

Should do for the one project in my life that I'm going to use it for, shouldn't it?
Is it gonna burn a hole through my worktable?

Last edited:

nelsress

Journeyman
Hey Mark,
Let me check, I've got a few around here I'd be happy to loan you one. I've also got one that works but has a couple dead spots on the dial but I've used it and it works. Maybe someone on here knows how to dress up the armature to eliminate those spots, anyone? Give me a day or two to find the ones I've got and I'll get back to you.

MarkWComer

Tagline
On eBay, do a search for" variac 20 amp", and you'll see lots of old ones for cheap. They are not new, but they are built to work...
OK- I see one, put on my watch list. Auction without "buy it now" option, $50 opening bid, no bids yet. Listed "as is", probably untested. Item in Glendale AZ. Free shipping!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271806348655?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hey Mark,
Let me check, I've got a few around here I'd be happy to loan you one. I've also got one that works but has a couple dead spots on the dial but I've used it and it works. Maybe someone on here knows how to dress up the armature to eliminate those spots, anyone? Give me a day or two to find the ones I've got and I'll get back to you.
May or may not need it depending on how that auction goes, ends Saturday (3/21). Jumped the gun on the one I bought- what a bargain at ~$50! Didn't check the amperage, but at least there's a 14 day return- probably won't even open the box, just switch shipping labels. Just looked at the specs of the PL400, says 10A at peak output. It would have sucked the current out of that variac like a black hole!

Armature repair would probably require rewrapping the entire coil, I don't think you can just patch it.

MarkWComer

Tagline
BTW: Thought I'd try to rent a variac, but all I got were apartment listings. Columbia SC sucks for electronics...

MarkWComer

Tagline

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Man with too many speakers
New owner

Hey Folks! Thought I would check in here as the new owner of Nelsress' labor of love.
I am definitely benefitting from his successful re-build. She inserted right into my system nicely and the bar instantly went up.

Prior to this 400 I had had been using various amps to drive some fairly demanding speakers like AR's (3's and 9's) and was looking for something that would simplify things in a vintage manner to match the rest of my gear. I think I have found the solution.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hey Folks! Thought I would check in here as the new owner of Nelsress' labor of love.
I am definitely benefitting from his successful re-build. She inserted right into my system nicely and the bar instantly went up.

Prior to this 400 I had had been using various amps to drive some fairly demanding speakers like AR's (3's and 9's) and was looking for something that would simplify things in a vintage manner to match the rest of my gear. I think I have found the solution.
Glad she went to a good home, Nelson is a great guy!!!!

drugolf

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Man with too many speakers
Gotta ask about that user name drugolf.....
I'm a golf course Architect.

How do you guys power these on and off within your system? Seems like I need a stand alone something so I can power it on last and off first etc.. I have everything connected to an APC strip now and it is a pain to get to the button too.

Tagline
---
I'm a golf course Architect.

How do you guys power these on and off within your system? Seems like I need a stand alone something so I can power it on last and off first etc.. I have everything connected to an APC strip now and it is a pain to get to the button too.
I plug mine into the back of my preamp. Turn preamp on, amp comes on too.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
So you're the ass that put that trap there.......

Lots of guys keep the amp on all the time. I prefer a power conditioner conveniently located to power my system on/off.

Keep posting - love the avatar!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
With the DC protect board in there it provides turnon/off thump protection. Not that there is any left running a White Oak board now, that has been eliminated....