It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Okay then but I'm going to check the power to the IDE HD after shutdown and then go dire around.

I need a diet Dr. Pepper and local people to bug.

orange

Tagline
I restored the BIOS to optimal settings AND I put the HD jumper on CS instead of the DS MASTER I accidentally had it on...SOLVED.

I don't know exactly who is on this CD-R but it's funky 90s crap alright :)

Aha! It wasn't a CD-R it was my $1 copy of 1991's Rhythm Syndicate (self-titled) on Impact/MCA.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
And..

OH MY GOD! THE AUDIO IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER!

Currently playing-How Soon Is Now-The Smiths (Thank You WEB) :blob:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You're running Windows 7 on a computer that works????
That is what I would like to know? :rabbit:

He is a happy camper, but not 100% sure what he is happy about? Might take him awhile to respond as he is installing hundreds of updates. And an anti virus we can only hope. We need to know what computer you installed it on too.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
The Micron of course, I haven't gotten the dual core wired back up, although I found my molex splitter cable on the P4PE-X chassis when I had to take the PSU out to start this again.

And YES, AVG is installed and continues it's file optimization scan after a full updating. I chose not to install the Remote Desktop Protocol in Windows Update but the others are all done. It got frustrating figuring out the wiring without the splitter so I have to go back and do it again and keep it tidy.

If I could just get one more license at this point I'd do all three of them, and 2 GB more RAM, use the dimension offline and keep the external as a backup/music drive for the others, it gets scanned daily too and will before transferring anything to the Dell.

Other than finding Disk Management and incorporating the SATA (it had better, I'm not sure how to save all the settings for a bunch of great concerts linked on it), I'm there.

And yes, I can send pictures now.

I named the computer after the IDE drive's volume name...she is Valerie.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Ok sounds good. I thought you have the dual core all together, no sure why it got unwired again?

Remember if you use the product code for the micron then any other Win 7 install will only last 30 days without a new unique product code. I figured you would install the 7 o nthe dual core first?

And disk management is in the control panel adminsistrative tools/computer management/disk management. I think it was the same in xp.

Hmm someone is logged on here as a user and as a guest.

Oh and if you want a 500gb WD Blue sata drive I can get my hands on some slightly used ones for $30 that still have one plus year of warranty left. They are new computer takeoffs for upgrading.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I just got so befuddled trying to trace the wires I started over. Now that I've found the molex splitter again I can accommodate all the drives without pulling the video down, I HOPE.

What may keep me from the Anytime Upgrade is merely the ACPI/IFX0101? If that can be fixed an upgrade would work well.

On the SATA-YES. Will have to be July, I want to get my Sansui and A-2340 both in here in time for my birthday and I'm done on June, added a 7" genuine metal Revox reel from Freddy1.

I must eat, after all.

BTW even the spellcheck is working.

Valerie is all closed up and stickered now...still have to find Disk Management, changed my login icon to the two Shasta pop glasses I got from eBay :)

orange

Tagline
It's not finding that SATA drive. Is it supposed to have IDE power? Or why isn't it...wait.. I'll reopen it and try again.

orange

Tagline
It sees it (Drive 1) is there, but How do I set BIOS up for dual boot so I can get to the Linux?
I have two partitions on it, the main almost 80 GB and a 502 MB secondary partition.

orange

Tagline
I think the answer may be you can't...you have to change hard drive boot order to get to Linux and vice versa. Still, that works for now.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I think the answer may be you can't...you have to change hard drive boot order to get to Linux and vice versa. Still, that works for now.
If you want a dual boot with Win and linux on the same drive or even on separate drives, win needs to be installed first. Linux can re-write the boot sector for dual boot but windows can only write a dual boot for two win installations. Meaning linux can read win partitions but win can't read linux partitons so to speak.

You will have to use the F8 key when booting so you can toggle between the two drives.

Well ask me about the drives when you are ready, not sure he will still have any in July, but cross that bridge when you get to it.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
What may keep me from the Anytime Upgrade is merely the ACPI/IFX0101? If that can be fixed an upgrade would work well.

You probably need to update either the bios or the ACPI.sys windows driver. I would think the Win 7 disc when installing will address this issue, and that the advisor is just telling you of an imcompatibility.

If it is the Asus board you can download and update ACPI driver for ATK 0110 virtual device version 1043.2.15.37 for Windows 2000 / XP (32bit and 64bit) / 2003 (32bit & 64bit) / VISTA (32bit & 64bit).

This board was built in 2004 before Windows 7 arrived so hard to say if it is 100% compatible. I don't think the Nvidia chipset fully supports Win 7, you might get it to work with Vistas drivers, but no guarantees. I have read where someone did get it functioning, but unless you are up for the challenge you are probably best off to upgrade equipment that is designed for Win 7, and use XP o nthe dual core for offline purposes.

orange

Tagline
No, it's still the Micron...I just awoke to the knock of the mail carrier with two very important things and a BILL (important too but meh).

Half asleep is bad enough so I won't do anything in my sleep :shock:

Now...I have a Teac to bring in and a money order to cash!