WOPL PL400

calman46

Journeyman
I'm back using my WOPL400 with McIntosh C33 and McIntosh XR16 ,B&O 4002.( All recapped etc..) There all getting along just fine(sounds great) . I can't warm up to LEDs on the 400 though, I may go back to the incandescent board.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I'm back using my WOPL400 with McIntosh C33 and McIntosh XR16 ,B&O 4002.( All recapped etc..) There all getting along just fine(sounds great) . I can't warm up to LEDs on the 400 though, I may go back to the incandescent board.
Off topic, but I am curious of which cartridge you are using with your B&O 4002 turntable.

Nando.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Put in the warm white LEDs, looks amber glow like the original lamps. That is what I run in mine. Others like other colors, it is definitely a personal preference thing. Blue is the most popular by far but I cannot warm up to it.

calman46

Journeyman
Put in the warm white LEDs, looks amber glow like the original lamps. That is what I run in mine. Others like other colors, it is definitely a personal preference thing. Blue is the most popular by far but I cannot warm up to it.
I can't get LEDs position correctly to light the dial . I got rid of the shadow bar but now the dial not getting lit up enough. Plus being really fussy doesn't help .

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The note from the release notes provides the method for creating the best illumination

Use the nylon washers provided to space the Light Board off of the back of the meter such that the round body of the LEDs just kisses or is slightly off of the front plastic jewel lens. Getting the LEDs as close to the lens as possible without crushing or bending the LEDs or LED leads against the lens helps to maximize the light dispersion via total internal reflection against the meter lens inner surface. A dozen #6 x 1/16” thick washers have been provided for this purpose. Most applications require either one or two nylon washers stacked on each screw stud under the light board and above the meter case to get the recommended LED spacing. Put the last 4 nylon washers on top of the Light Board before installing the hex nuts provided to prevent scuffing of the PCB surface. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE NUTS ON THE METER STUDS. A gentle tightening is all that is required.

Tagline
---6 and 7 days work week, no end in sight
my light board has warm white LED's I believe to be bright, so I got some amber film that I cut to fit between meter's and bezel's.
Gives the look of incandescent lights, witch is shown in my avatar.

I could have used any color...

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
my light board has warm white LED's I believe to be bright, so I got some amber film that I cut to fit between meter's and bezel's.
Gives the look of incandescent lights, witch is shown in my avatar.

I could have used any color...
Interesting, I ordered the soft blue mostly to try but thinking I may swap the LED’s for the soft white now that I acquired the 700... with your amber film it looks very original.

Tilly-Dr. Von Ron

New Around These Parts
I was thinking the blue would go with my Mcintosh nicely. Any thoughts on the blue leds?

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I was thinking the blue would go with my Mcintosh nicely. Any thoughts on the blue leds?
Lots of people favor the blue LEDs with the black aftermarket faceplates. I am more old school and prefer the original aluminum faceplates and the "warm white" LEDs, they really mimic the incandescent bulbs color, with no heat.

calman46

Journeyman
The LED's leave a shadow bar on the meter face of PL400. I did bend them straight out and it lowered the shadow to the bottom of the meter face.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Use the nylon washers provided to space the Light Board off of the back of the meter such that the round body of the LEDs just kisses or is slightly off of the front plastic jewel lens. Getting the LEDs as close to the lens as possible without crushing or bending the LEDs or LED leads against the lens helps to maximize the light dispersion via total internal reflection against the meter lens inner surface. A dozen #6 x 1/16” thick washers have been provided for this purpose. Most applications require either one or two nylon washers stacked on each screw stud under the light board and above the meter case to get the recommended LED spacing. Put the last 4 nylon washers on top of the Light Board before installing the hex nuts provided to prevent scuffing of the PCB surface. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE NUTS ON THE METER STUDS. A gentle tightening is all that is required.

calman46

Journeyman
Maybe I have an early version of the board .The LEDs came with the leads bent @90 to fit up inside the meter. I have since straighten them and no more shadow bar . Just not as bright as the incandescent lamps.