WOPL 400 1st time build

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Hey Gene,

Just a bit off topic as tends to happen,
Do you have any capybaras down your way ?
in louisiana they are called nutrias...lol
they look exactly a nutria...except no tail....lol
i think capybaras reside a little further south....
closest to that would be the agoti...i think thats how to spell it...capybaras can grow pretty large...
we are full of wildlife here...from army ants to howler monkeys...never know what you will see or hear...lol
as long as you are away from the cities!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I just lay a full square of 220 grit on the flat work bench and lay the back plane on it and give it a few swipes. It levels it right down, takes 3 minutes. YEP, clean clean clean after that. Then clean again.

plex

Journeyman
Build is going good he finished soldering the wires to the backplane boards. The boy is really enjoying this project. It's sad that his peers haven't got a clue or any interest. Will be updating with pics when I get a chance.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Build is going good he finished soldering the wires to the backplane boards. The boy is really enjoying this project. It's sad that his peers haven't got a clue or any interest. Will be updating with pics when I get a chance.
Joe does an amazing job kitting the parts for his WOAD offerings. When I was 15, I was building Heathkits, PAIA, SWTPC, Dynacos ... etc.. Sadly those are all gone now, but we get to relive some of that when rebuilding WOPLs. Makes you want to go to ebay and buy a bunch of PLs and make them all into WOPLs !

plex

Journeyman
Joe does an amazing job kitting the parts for his WOAD offerings. When I was 15, I was building Heathkits, PAIA, SWTPC, Dynacos ... etc.. Sadly those are all gone now, but we get to relive some of that when rebuilding WOPLs. Makes you want to go to ebay and buy a bunch of PLs and make them all into WOPLs !
Yes I'm greatful for Joe and the whiteoak team for providing these Kits. It's awesome to have the PL past down generations. I know what you mean about buying more PLs. I've been dreaming about a PL700.:D

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Okay so do I splice the wire from the thermo control to route it on the edge? On a side note I replaced the power cord.
as per georges suggestion...i added an ac terminal strip to help seperate ac from dc...and ran a new wire...really neatened it up!!

Attachments

George S.

When I built my 400s, best practice was to run the AC up and over the fuse holders, across the top, then down to the thermo breaker, keeping that AC away from the boards.
Evidently Joe gets lower noise numbers taking it straight across. Very similar to the AC leg on the 700s.
Joe, do you keep the run tight against the backplane board, or pull it out equidistant between the backplane and control board?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When I built my 400s, best practice was to run the AC up and over the fuse holders, across the top, then down to the thermo breaker, keeping that AC away from the boards.
Evidently Joe gets lower noise numbers taking it straight across. Very similar to the AC leg on the 700s.
Joe, do you keep the run tight against the backplane board, or pull it out equidistant between the backplane and control board?
As close to the backplane as practical George and Peter.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
And keep the out and back on each run paired with each other and ty wrapped together like the picture. That produces a canceling AC field.