What is in your boxes?

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
A consideration , guys .
If I have understood well in this forum you are all fans of bass reflex speakers ,
except me that I like very much acoustic suspension systems .
No Allison , no Ar , no Infinity .
This is probably the " american taste " : Is it right ?
It's only a curiosity , of course .
Ciao
Marco

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I do agree Lee, but the best acoustic suspension speakers are american , of course .
When i was young , if my memory serves me , people talked about East coast sound ( Ascoustic suspension )
and West coast sound ( bass reflex ) and not only , PL 400 shoulld be the " home edition " of PL 700 designed
for AR LST and AR 3A .Anyway my center speaker is Klipsch with horn ( the best solution for speech ) .
Ciao
Marco

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I kinda feel a BASS HORN is the best way to vibrate your eyeballs. BTW, my favotite 2" Compression drivers are made in Italy...B & C DCM-50's!!

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Lee,
I now wery well K horn and they are beautiful , but for me the best bass comes from AR 9 .
The problem is that it's necessary to power them by 1 KW RMS . ( 4 x 250 W ) .
Another problem is the size , because in Europe ,and of course in Italy , we have less space
than in USA . Any way let's enjoy the music .
Ciao
Marco

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
laatsch55;213743[B said:
I kinda feel a BASS HORN is the best way to vibrate your eyeballs. BTW, my favotite 2" Compression drivers are made in Italy...B & C DCM-50's!![/B]
Lee,
I looked up the specs on those DCM50's. Those are some Bad DoDad drivers now.
Are these what you keep smoking the phrams out of?
Specs say 80 watts nominal, 160 watts (thats +3db) continuous power.

Just a thought, what if you ran them on there own amp so you could control the wattage/voltage?

You do have the cool Pioneer x-over .

jm

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mike, I've had em for 7 years, a pretty good run actually. This will be the first time I've had problems with the drivers, blown a few woofs, but heck, they're cheap...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee,
I looked up the specs on those DCM50's. Those are some Bad DoDad drivers now.
Are these what you keep smoking the phrams out of?
Specs say 80 watts nominal, 160 watts (thats +3db) continuous power.

Just a thought, what if you ran them on there own amp so you could control the wattage/voltage?

You do have the cool Pioneer x-over .

jm
Yes Mike, one of these days I'll tri-amp them...

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Mike, I've had em for 7 years, a pretty good run actually. This will be the first time I've had problems with the drivers, blown a few woofs, but heck, they're cheap...
Well I misunderstood, thought you were taking out the midrange a little too often. Cool.
Have you any experience with their woofers ? The 15NBX100 or this big 18''=18DS115 .

I was always blowing the diaphragm's in my A-7'-500's (modded) until I went bi-amp with the Pioneer 850 x-over.
Thinking about tri-amping them. the big B&C 18" might be a way to clear out the spiders.
This is my shop system. too much WAF to move them into the house, but I'm working on it. My sweet wife loves music and doesn't mind
the tri-amped Dahlquist system in the new house room. I guess she thinks the Altec's are ugly.:cheers:

jm

Last edited:

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
And judging from what I witnessed....think 7 seven straight years of frat parties...barracks parties....seven years of concert level output is what I am trying to spit out :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
No Mike, haven't been exposed to any other B & C product but the mids and tweets.

At one time Mike I had a pair of Heresy's ON EACH K, and a Cerwin Vega D9 in front OF EACH K...now that shit got loud...

And I've heard quite a few speaks, NOT ALL the classics, but have talked to some folks who have and they were partial to the K-bass when DONE RIGHT. It's no secret I really love mine. I really like Stu's Summits too.....and one of these days we are going to have a pair of K-bass bins in his corners and unplug the Summit subs and play with the time delay on the bass bins, dial er in and see what happens...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And judging from what I witnessed....think 7 seven straight years of frat parties...barracks parties....seven years of concert level output is what I am trying to spit out :)
Amen Kev, they have been pushed and pushed hard, and you did not hear them at their best, had to throttle the volume too much to vibrate the eyeball, I actually had quite a ways to go before topping out the woofs, and until now they were the weak link...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well I misunderstood, thought you were taking out the midrange a little too often. Cool.
Have you any experience with their woofers ? The 15NBX100 or this big 18''=18DS115 .

I was always blowing the diaphragm's in my A-7'-500's (modded) until I went bi-amp with the Pioneer 850 x-over.
Thinking about tri-amping them. the big B&E 18" might be a way to clear out the spiders.
This is my shop system. too much WAF to move them into the house, but I'm working on it. My sweet wife loves music and doesn't mind
the tri-amped Dahlquist system in the new house room. I guess she thinks the Altec's are ugly.:cheers:

jm
I have an 850 too Mike. It's over at Tim's now waiting to tri-amp his Soniphase S6's...as soon as I get him a couple 400's to handle the upper duties...

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
<b style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62);">
"Yes Mike, one of these days I'll tri-amp them"

I want to know more about this. I've been looking at products from this outfit who has been around for quite awhile. I found them in Speaker builder mags from the nineties:

</b>

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Brad a lot of good info in there but the one who explains it really well is Elliot at Westhost.com....