What is in your boxes?

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Having just received my 700B Saturday.....I am wondering what you guys are using for speakers after a full mod. I am running a 400 on a pair of BW's that sound very pleasing in the sweet spot. But with 350+ watts on tap....I am afraid they aren't up to snuff. I am not opposed to building my own......I have a nice set of home brew bookshelf speakers with Dynaudio 5 1/4's and 1" tweets on a little Luxman in my office that throw a huge stage. I am looking real hard at Madisound at the SB12.3 speaker kit. My main listening area is a big open basement so space is not an issue. I am just curious with what you guys are using before I embark on this project this winter. I listen to just about everything but opera....but my main catagory would be rock. So......what are YOU using and what makes them special to you?

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Calling it a night now, but for you late night peruser's here are a couple links that are at the top of my list.

www.madisound.com
www.aespeakers.com
creative sound solutions just sold and I am waiting for there new site to come on line......they had a pretty good selection of full-rangers.

Feel free to share yours :)

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use a modded pair of Cerwin Vega D9s and for backup a pair of CV E-712's

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Carver system : AR 9 powered by 2x M400 A ( passive bi-amping )
Dynaco system : AR 6 powered by ST 120
My father's Phase Linear system 1 : Infinity RS III powered by PL400
My father's Phase Linear system 2 : Allison One powered by PL700
Ciao
Marco

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Altec Model Three cabs, M3 crossover, Corona 10" and Jensen domes.

Polk Monitor 4s stock

Marantz Imperial 5s stock

Pioneer CS-K somethings with stock 8", 70s FB 5"cupped mids, 12" from CS-88? and Onkyo domed tweeters pulled from a torn-up pair of CBS Masterworks wedges, one of the original Pioneers went kaput. Live crossovers for that model, sound better with the Onkyos.

Rebuilt/brewed Infinity-2000s? Pioneer FB full range 8s from CS-06s, OEM midranges and Foster square plastic tweeters.

More but I've been up all night.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just took a read of the SB12.3 for you.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...o-sb12.3-sb-acoustics-12-dual-midrange-3-way/

They spec at: Recommended amplification: 50 W – 250+ W per channel
and Minimum 4.3 ohms, Avg. 5-6ohms

Keep in mind your PL700B can pump out about:
350 w/ch at 8Ω or
467 w/ch @ 6Ω or
560 w/ch @ 5Ω or
700 w/ch @ 4Ω <--- to be safe, this is where I'd be looking at a minimum for a speaker with a 4.3 Ω rating.
That's driven 0 -20k, at clipping I've seen it rate at 450w @8 Ω, so think big.

I think you could easily over drive them.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
No WOPL's here, but running nearly 300 wpc in my main system. As for speakers:

main system - Vandersteen 2C, biamped

shop system - B&W "waffleback"

computer system - Mission 70

video system - Proton 300/301, in powered speaker mode, internally biamped.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Pioneer HPM-150

I had the privilege of borrowing the famous Larrt WOPL 1000, presently owned by Doug (fitz43.) With that much power on tap, I had no problem running my Pioneer HPM-150 speakers because the amp runs clean.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Nando, Thank you for the great Pics. Wow!!!!!! I love those Pioneers!!!!! are those 15 0r 18 inch drivers? I had a pair of CS series from 82 that had 18's with ribbon mids and tweets......5 or 6 drivers total per speaker and handled everything I threw at them. then.....I got married, had kids...and wifey thought they were too big and too loud.....guess I should have sold her instead my speakers :-(

Last edited:

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I appreciate you looking at these and offering a second opinion :) Exactly my purpose....great feedback. I like loud....real loud sometimes and I don't want to be replacing drivers once a year due to burnt coils.....been there and done that. keep'em coming guys....getting some great ideas!!!!

Just took a read of the SB12.3 for you.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...o-sb12.3-sb-acoustics-12-dual-midrange-3-way/

They spec at: Recommended amplification: 50 W – 250+ W per channel
and Minimum 4.3 ohms, Avg. 5-6ohms

Keep in mind your PL700B can pump out about:
350 w/ch at 8Ω or
467 w/ch @ 6Ω or
560 w/ch @ 5Ω or
700 w/ch @ 4Ω <--- to be safe, this is where I'd be looking at a minimum for a speaker with a 4.3 Ω rating.
That's driven 0 -20k, at clipping I've seen it rate at 450w @8 Ω, so think big.

I think you could easily over drive them.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
CornScala "A" models from Bob Crites. Bought as a kit and built them in the garage. These WILL split your wig and leave you going Huh????

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-a.html

106db in sensativity, huge.

I experimented and veneered them in rosewood.
i saw your thread about those. Will be doing my due diligence researching those tonight. I also read your opinion on Acurus.....now I own one and couldn't be more pleased!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
i saw your thread about those. Will be doing my due diligence researching those tonight. I also read your opinion on Acurus.....now I own one and couldn't be more pleased!!!!
I'm going to sell my Acurus RL-11 after i find a Carver 4000t (preamp) which i will mod. The last one I did was as quiet and worked as well or better than my Acurus. Plus it has the "look" to sit next to my enforcer Clair. I'll pay a finders fee for anybody finding me a Carver 4000t (NOT A C-4000).

You can't go wrong with the Crites CornScala.