What is in your boxes?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ron: An extract from an article I wrote back in 2010:

To recount one of my Pioneer Best Buys:

It was perhaps three years ago, and I had just entered the Squamish Mini-Flea Market on my weekly forage. Upon walking through the front door, I saw a large wooden cabinet, with its side facing the entrance. "Nice cabinet", I thought, "Should be able to hold more than a few records. It even has a glass top." And as I walked closer, I realized there were two of the same cabinets. Bob, the store owner's son, was muscling them into a better position, so they wouldn't block the narrow aisle. " Hey, how's it going. They just came in. I knew you'd be interested in these. Too bad, though, I hooked them up and the lights, up top, don't work. Maybe, you could figure it out." Holy Mother, what have we got here? Popping off the grilles, I could barely contain myself. " Bob, it looks like the bigger speakers are deteriorated. How much?" "Well, I can't let you steal them and there is a place in town, you can use to replace those speakers. $50 each." I replied, " Bob, you drive a hard bargain. Just give me a hand getting them into the back of the Wagon, OK?" Well, Bob gave me a large, smoke-stained, toothy grin and said, " Deal!" So, after replacing the surrounds on both of the 15 3/4" woofers I now have a treasured pair of Pioneer HPM-150s!

Nando.
Yeah that was a best but for sure Nando...

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Last edited:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I had the privilege of borrowing the famous Larrt WOPL 1000, presently owned by Doug (fitz43.) With that much power on tap, I had no problem running my Pioneer HPM-150 speakers because the amp runs clean.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.
Nando,
Your collection and presentation always makes me smile brother. Just beautiful.
jm

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Stuwee......ever get a chance to listen to anything with a pair of RAAL's in them? I have a good friend that built a pair of speakers with 9" drivers covering up to 800hz and then the magic happened........those RAAL'S took over and created one of the most detailed....lush....believable stages I have had the pleasure of listening to. He has since moved to Chicago.......dammit!!! But bottom line......I was sold the day he fired them up!!!!
No sir I have not, did a bit of digging and they do sound like something I must hear someday! Since the key is to have as less mass as possible!

Waaay back in '79 I heard the Hill Plasmatronics, just an inert gas making sound, that's when I sold my soul, they cost $78,000 back then, I could only afford the AKG 340 headphones, electrostatic/dymanic, not the new bullshit 340 models. I heard Maggie's and Accoustat ribbons, then I found Martin Logan's, which have lead me down a very expensive path of amplification!! Very few amps can drive these beasties, even though they just drive the panels.

I didn't see any info about amplification with the RAAL's, and what was used for the bass with them, do you have a link? Thanks! I'm glad you got to meet Lee and Jani and sit in the Masters Chair :notworthy:!!!!!!!! Too Awesome!!!!!!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Yeah that was a best but for sure Nando...
Nando,
Your collection and presentation always makes me smile brother. Just beautiful.
jm
Lee: Still able to find the odd deal out there, today, but not on this scale.

Mike: Thanks. Love posting pictures when I can.

Altec 19 speakers were ones I considered less than 1 year ago. I demoed a pair. Very nice.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Demoed the Martin Logan CL SII panels for an extensive period during the Cassette Deck Shootout back in 2011 held at Innovative Audio. Quite amazing.

Nando.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Demoed the Martin Logan CL SII panels for an extensive period during the Cassette Deck Shootout back in 2011 held at Innovative Audio. Quite amazing.

Nando.
Special weren't they? The full range CLS was never my fav, the bass just can't cut it on the music I listen to, and I don't play super loud or bass heavy, they are awesome for vocals, raise the 'bumps' on any acoustic/vocal tune :notworthy:

Now, these bad boys...heavily modded CLX's a bud in Tampa had for sale last year, 2 to 2.5 times the panel area of those with a monster Martin Logan Decent sub...sold for...look at that pic first!!!! :blob2::blob3::blob2::cheers::cheers:

What was it Lee? $2,500?? And we missed it by days! &*%%*&^$$&^%#&^#&^#!!!!! Shit! I paid $5,500 for the Summit's and that was cheap, oh well!

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's the bane of most electrostatic speakers - lack of bass reproduction. Sub woofers are needed to help out in reproducing those lows.

Nando.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
No sir I have not, did a bit of digging and they do sound like something I must hear someday! Since the key is to have as less mass as possible!

Waaay back in '79 I heard the Hill Plasmatronics, just an inert gas making sound, that's when I sold my soul, they cost $78,000 back then, I could only afford the AKG 340 headphones, electrostatic/dymanic, not the new bullshit 340 models. I heard Maggie's and Accoustat ribbons, then I found Martin Logan's, which have lead me down a very expensive path of amplification!! Very few amps can drive these beasties, even though they just drive the panels.

I didn't see any info about amplification with the RAAL's, and what was used for the bass with them, do you have a link? Thanks! I'm glad you got to meet Lee and Jani and sit in the Masters Chair :notworthy:!!!!!!!! Too Awesome!!!!!!
dont have any links.....I know he used a 9" mid bass and the Raals.....we were doing a high end car audio amplifier shootout and he had come across the Raals as a pair of raw drivers. They were seeing any where from 100 to 250 watts per channel depending on what amp was attached. As far as I know.....they were going to be used in a set of speakers he was planning to build once he got settled in Chicago. Nothing short of amazing!!!!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Lee: Still able to find the odd deal out there, today, but not on this scale.

Mike: Thanks. Love posting pictures when I can.

Altec 19 speakers were ones I considered less than 1 year ago. I demoed a pair. Very nice.

Nando.
Nando:

What Klipsch speakers are those setting on top of the Altec model 15's ?

I have wanted a pair of original Altec 19's for sometime but they have become expensive and rare for a nice pair.

Over the last few years I have managed to find and purchase all the original drivers/crossovers/ and the horns.
Now I just need a pair of cabinets.
Great Plains Audio now offers all new drivers and cabinets. Not cheep but there is no better if you are wanting one of the best speakers
Altec ever made. And very few speakers including stuff made today will compete with the Model 19. They are special for Rock ! No subs required !

Here is a Altec ad showing the difference in size (lower right) of the Model 19 and the model 15. Dwarfs the 15.
The 19 uses the 416-8b -16" base driver / the 811 Horn / and the 802-8g compression driver.

View attachment 29844

A pic of the Model 19 in Walnut. (originals ) You gotta love the old Altec Model 19 ad !

View attachment 29845 View attachment 29846

Here is the link to: Great Plains Audio:

https://greatplainsaudio.com/

jm

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Mike: I had problems finding my photos of the Altec Model 19 speakers. The ones shown in my photo are the Model 15s. The speakers sitting atop the Model 15s are Klipsch KG 4s.

These are photos taken from the Innovative Audio website, of the Model 19s, which were sold.

nando.