What cartridge are you using?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Right now the Pioneer PL-610 (which I have incorrectly listed in the sig line and never fixed) and PL-4 are using AT stuff. I haven't touched the SL-1300 in a while so I'd have to look.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I use an AT440mla & Shure M97xe/JICO SAS.

For the changer I use a Shure SC35C and M3D.

I had an Ortofon Red. Let it go with a table I gave away.

The AT440mla I've had a love/hate feeling about but I keep going back to it. The Bellari VP130 with a Sovtek 12AX7LPS is the best combo I've heard with it. (Thanks Larry)

Nick Danger

Ortofon 2M Blue

Currently using an Ortofon M2 Blue. Have it mounted on an SH- 4 headshell and I am very happy with the sonics of this cart in my rig:

Last edited:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I'm using a WINLABS SDT-10.2 semiconductor (strain gauge cartridge). I have had this baby since 1976. I sent it off to
Dr.Sao Win a few months ago and he rebuilt the power supply and a new stylus. It is an amazing cartridge. Anyone still using one?
I also use a Shure v15III, a Dynavector 10b (another oldie) and picked up a Otofon Red the other day.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Using the Red, and reading around the net is what prompted me to upgrade to a Blue. I was quite happy with the Red and wanted to see what the next step up would be like. Very happy with the Blue as well. I think at list price, they are a little pricey. After hearing the Blue, I dont think I would have upgraded from the Red had I paid full price on a Blue. Markup on those things is ridiculous.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm using a WINLABS SDT-10.2 semiconductor (strain gauge cartridge). I have had this baby since 1976. I sent it off to
Dr.Sao Win a few months ago and he rebuilt the power supply and a new stylus. It is an amazing cartridge. Anyone still using one?.
Now that's the first time I've heard of a cart like that! Very interesting. Do you have sound samples?

Nick Danger

Using the Red, and reading around the net is what prompted me to upgrade to a Blue. I was quite happy with the Red and wanted to see what the next step up would be like. Very happy with the Blue as well. I think at list price, they are a little pricey. After hearing the Blue, I dont think I would have upgraded from the Red had I paid full price on a Blue. Markup on those things is ridiculous.
Your pricing on the Blue made it too tempting to pass up as I actually stayed within the budget I set to spend on a new cart/ headshell.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Now that's the first time I've heard of a cart like that! Very interesting. Do you have sound samples?
Only in my head buddy. I wouldn't know how to do it correctly anyway.
Dr Win was the pioneer in strain gauge cartridge design. He sold his design to Panasonic which released a few back in the 70's.
Soundsmith (http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/sg.html) is a current manufacture of this type of cartridge.
If you search the net you can find some info on the Win cartridge.
Cheers

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Question: Is 20db of stereo separation at 20khz, unusual at all for a phono cart? That's what wiki states about the Shure M3D.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Doesn't seem like a whole lot does it Joe??
I'm not really sure as far as carts go but I know what you mean lol. Specifications I've been seeing usually state in the 20db ranges, but at much lower frequencies. So if it's true, it might be a good characteristic. But um.... Hmmm... That cart won't play to 20k I don't think lol?

Anyway, I've noticed that this cart has some nice qualities and sounds really nice on old pressings from the 60's. I thought it had really lousy tracking on the Garrard, but it turns out that the tone arm and linkage is an issue. I put this cart on my Technics DD tonight. Pleasantly surprised. Needs about 4grams to track but I'm looking at a 1.5-3g stylus for it right now.

I got the SL-1800 for $20 and the Shure M3D off of a $20 parts garrard TT. $12 for a needle. I know it doesn't seem exciting, but for nearly $50 worth of gear, Dexter Gordon's "one flight up" sounded really impressive. I rather listen to that record on this then anything else I have, or had, that I tossed a lot of money at.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
I have a old Pickering v-15 and a denon dl110 mc cart. IMO the denon blows away the Pickering !!! A lot more robust sound more bass extension and I like the way the denon tracks also. Great cart for 150$

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have a old Pickering v-15 and a denon dl110 mc cart. IMO the denon blows away the Pickering !!! A lot more robust sound more bass extension and I like the way the denon tracks also. Great cart for 150$
The Pickering you got from me right? That cart requires a correct setup so you need a protractor. When aligned correctly, you will notice a difference. Not quite as good as the Denon though but the Pickering is a pretty neutral cart

I use Shure V15's exclusively with Shure Super Track and Jico SAS stylus'

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
The Pickering you got from me right? That cart requires a correct setup so you need a protractor. When aligned correctly, you will notice a difference. Not quite as good as the Denon though but the Pickering is a pretty neutral cart

I use Shure V15's exclusively with Shure Super Track and Jico SAS stylus'
Yep. I'll have to try to set ii up better and see what I think.