what are you listening to?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
The intent of a record weight (onto a platter or platter mat designed for one), is to couple the record to the platter as well as reduce any warpage of the record.

But, if you have a completely flat platter with no label recess, it won’t do shit.

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Yup. Opinion seems to be "never use a record weight on a AR turntable". So I thought I'd try anyhow. I adjusted the springs with a record, the weight, and the stylus on the platter. Jounce. Got to go back and do it without the weight, then fine tune for vertical movement only. Need to not use the record weight. Really don't see any real benefit to using one anyway.
I always thought the spindle being so precisely machined helped keep records in place - and sometimes made it difficult to remove them. I don't remember record weights being a thing when I had my first AR and never felt like I needed one on my newer AR. Matter of fact, I just use the factory-supplied clamp on my VPI, which does help flatten some of records while they're being played. That's useful.

George S.

Floyd.....my Father's vintage copy that still has the two posters with it. My copy is very worn. No more record weights ever on the AR after readjusting the springs. Can now walk around the room like before with no skipping. I do need to make a wall mount shelf eventually.

Attachments

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Floyd.....my Father's vintage copy that still has the two posters with it. My copy is very worn. No more record weights ever on the AR after readjusting the springs. Can now walk around the room like before with no skipping. I do need to make a wall mount shelf eventually.
just ordered feet similar to those...