what are you listening to?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
How are you enjoying your redone AR table George?
Love it and want no others. I do have a issue with jounce from the floor that the old configuration did not have. I need to do more reading about the suspension springs of ARs and Linn's and solve it. Might need to tear it back down and shave a 1/8" off the very top of the base in order to drop the platter a little. I'll get to it eventually. Very happy with the rest of it. Thanks for asking!

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Love it and want no others. I do have a issue with jounce from the floor that the old configuration did not have. I need to do more reading about the suspension springs of ARs and Linn's and solve it. Might need to tear it back down and shave a 1/8" off the very top of the base in order to drop the platter a little. I'll get to it eventually. Very happy with the rest of it. Thanks for asking!
George - I found a piece of sorbothane (off ebay) worked pretty well for isolating rumble and reduced quite a bit, but not perfectly, footsteps from bouncing the stylus. The pieces I cut fit beneath each foot of the turntable. What is the construction of your subfloor?

I did not use the pointy feet as you have in the pic. Your wood work looks great, btw!

George S.

George - I found a piece of sorbothane (off ebay) worked pretty well for isolating rumble and reduced quite a bit, but not perfectly, footsteps from bouncing the stylus. The pieces I cut fit beneath each foot of the turntable. What is the construction of your subfloor?

I did not use the pointy feet as you have in the pic. Your wood work looks great, btw!
Wood floor with joists. Just need to do some fine tuning of the springs. In addition to spring compression, they need to be turned radially in fine increments so they offset the belt tension.
Property adjusted, the assembly will be sprung vertically with no side to side movement. I have side to side jounce that I need to find tune out.
Was reading some Linn literature last night that explains it. I'll do some more reading this week and maybe get to it next weekend. Used to be able to walk all around that room with no bounce on the tonearm. Of course, it's now tightly coupled with the pointy feet. Those might have to go. We'll see.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Wood floor with joists. Just need to do some fine tuning of the springs. In addition to spring compression, they need to be turned radially in fine increments so they offset the belt tension.
Property adjusted, the assembly will be sprung vertically with no side to side movement. I have side to side jounce that I need to find tune out.
Was reading some Linn literature last night that explains it. I'll do some more reading this week and maybe get to it next weekend. Used to be able to walk all around that room with no bounce on the tonearm. Of course, it's now tightly coupled with the pointy feet. Those might have to go. We'll see.
I have a lot of jounce in the springs in this Yammy PF1000. Unfortunately they suspended the turntable from the springs supported from the top, so now the springs are over-extended to the point that the AT-618 record stabilizer causes the turntable drive to rest on the plinth.

Attachments

George S.

Yup. Opinion seems to be "never use a record weight on a AR turntable". So I thought I'd try anyhow. I adjusted the springs with a record, the weight, and the stylus on the platter. Jounce. Got to go back and do it without the weight, then fine tune for vertical movement only. Need to not use the record weight. Really don't see any real benefit to using one anyway.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yup. Opinion seems to be "never use a record weight on a AR turntable". So I thought I'd try anyhow. I adjusted the springs with a record, the weight, and the stylus on the platter. Jounce. Got to go back and do it without the weight, then fine tune for vertical movement only. Need to not use the record weight. Really don't see any real benefit to using one anyway.
You need a Rek O Kut for the record weight :)