what are you listening to?

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I happened to pickup Billy's autobiography "Dancing With Myself" several years ago. It's a good read.
He was right for the times. Bold n' brash. A punk with great songwriting skills, and the added genius of innovative approach by his guitar players, [ Steve Stevens, or Mark Younger-Smith], was nothing like anyone else, even Eddie [RIP].
They gave the high energy music all the space as well as fill the gaps with monumental fills and licks.
They were just the next thing of the times. AND, the bonus is, it's still not outdated 30+ years later. [Well, for me at least.]
My other fave player, Steve Vai, is much the same, and really helped David Lee Roth come back with a mind splitting album, which was Skyscraper. Some of the playing on that was just totally un-freakin'-believable. Absolutely nothing out of place.
Damn there's real virtuoso talent out there. It's more than just practice. It's a genetic gift.
And then there's Jeff Beck. Sh*t, I don't even want to go there. My mind'll explode........

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I've had about 20 albums out and couldn't figure out why my system sounded muddy. I had it in my Zona house with vaulted ceilings and the Livingroom was 15 x 30. Now, my speakers are ported, limited room and tucked into the corners, shitty acoustic ceiling and knotty pine tongue and groove walls............. Shit, I need a bigger house. I had to bring Ronnies WOPL back into the shop to make sure it was OK. It tests out excellent but even a world class amp in a broom closet will sound like mud. Plus rear ported speakers 6" from the walls aint cutting it. I'm going to pull out my Epicure 20+ speakers and give them a listen. If they sound better than my Klipsch Heresy's, I'm getting out the chainsaw and making an addition to the house.

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

So I have this long-held goal, stated it in public...so it can't turn into a wish. So I have a fairly detailed plan of attack.
All well & good, but at this point we're still just stacking virtual beach balls in the land of Abstraction.

So I've been busy turning these plans into reality...but the actual implementation details are more than just stumbling blocks...some of them are more like stepping on that single lego block during a midnight raid on the fridge. :0)

For example, at the moment it seems that anything I'm not sure I want? No problem, there's an endless supply to buy. (Like our prez said, there's no problem, the shelves are 89% full! :0) But on the other hand, if I'm looking for a specific component I can't fudge that I need in order to, say, recap a piece of test equipment to put it back into reliable service, then there's plenty of listings...but nobody has any in stock? Why The Face?

Anyway, I'm sure that nearly everyone in here knows exactly the situation that I am describing. But the harder it gets, the more I want to see this through. But during all this I find that nearly all of my normal go-to music is too distracting. The TV has a well-earned NCC (Negative Concentration Coefficient) so that's off. I had the Prez on the radio in the background during his press conference last night...what a mistake.
And turning everything off just brings uncontrolled environmental noise front & center.

Well, my folks raised me that I couldn't bring up a problem unless I had a proposed solution to go along with it. Back when I had no choice but to study for comprehension the microsequencers & microcode that actually control the functioning of the ALUs & data paths in a CPU, instrumental classical music at a low level would help me scrape by.

But whenever the 'Hearts of Space' public radio show came on late at night, this seemed to really provide an acoustic workspace where I could bring the necessary focus to bear to wade through the tough stuff. Don't know exactly why, but I'm OK with that.

So today I was stuck. Had everything turned off kind of stuck. Took a break, gave this some thought, and decided to either find some of the old Hearts of Space shows or something similar. I found this, and it's working as advertised:

Folding Space - Generative Modular Ambient  4 Hour Relaxation - You Tube.jpg

Actually, it is working so well that I thought that it might help anybody out there in a similar jam...

Back to foraging for repair bits...

Last edited:

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
And my Cornscalla's were ported and were some of the best sounding speakers I have ever owned.
Not down on your speaks, just saying different rooms need different speakers, and some work better with different amps/ receivers than others. I have 5 different types of speakers to go with three different receivers and three different amplifiers and that's just in the living room.