what are you listening to?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Friday evening neighbor kid behind me txt'd, wanting to cruise to tunz. Nice night, thought he was tending a fire that he likes to do. Nope, wanted to hear the rig. Come on over. 28-year old and I'm playing different tunes from my start in music and explaining the change in music in the late 60s. Tommy James and Shondells were out touring, hear Led Zeppelin and Tommy commented at the end of the tour that music has changed forever. We heard Herman's Hermits, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Box Tops, then on to the new music LZ1, and on to more music from the 70s-80s. SuperTramp, Cars, Charlie and some others. Even got to some new indy Doom Metal, Stoner Rock, Cosmic Doom band from Chicago called REZN. Limited production albums. Rob, guitar and vocals, is a college buddy's son. Spent the first score of this decade going to the beach with his family so know Rob well. Since he was about 1. Get some REZN or at least give it a listen.

My neighbor is the guy I clued up about XPN playing 60s-70s-80s-90s over July 4th weekend and was happy to get in on it early. His dad was a concert junkie in Phila back in the day, working many different concerts and he has taken a liking to this older music.

Anyway we had a great few hours listening except for one thing, I had to do the work. Next time, before he gets liquored up, I'll train him on the automatic table and have him spin tunes while I sit and listen. If he does well, then the manual tables. Of course, he can do the CDs now if he can pick out something he wants to hear.

I need someone to play my record collection for me so I can sit and chat instead of all the ≈20 steps involved with playing a record. Had this with a pervious neighbor coming over to play some CDs, my CDs and crank tunes. He couldn't hurt the rig and they were my CDs so I'll listen to them. That was nice. He moved to TX 20 years ago, darn.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Friday evening neighbor kid behind me txt'd, wanting to cruise to tunz. Nice night, thought he was tending a fire that he likes to do. Nope, wanted to hear the rig. Come on over. 28-year old and I'm playing different tunes from my start in music and explaining the change in music in the late 60s. Tommy James and Shondells were out touring, hear Led Zeppelin and Tommy commented at the end of the tour that music has changed forever. We heard Herman's Hermits, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Box Tops, then on to the new music LZ1, and on to more music from the 70s-80s. SuperTramp, Cars, Charlie and some others. Even got to some new indy Doom Metal, Stoner Rock, Cosmic Doom band from Chicago called REZN. Limited production albums. Rob, guitar and vocals, is a college buddy's son. Spent the first score of this decade going to the beach with his family so know Rob well. Since he was about 1. Get some REZN or at least give it a listen.

My neighbor is the guy I clued up about XPN playing 60s-70s-80s-90s over July 4th weekend and was happy to get in on it early. His dad was a concert junkie in Phila back in the day, working many different concerts and he has taken a liking to this older music.

Anyway we had a great few hours listening except for one thing, I had to do the work. Next time, before he gets liquored up, I'll train him on the automatic table and have him spin tunes while I sit and listen. If he does well, then the manual tables. Of course, he can do the CDs now if he can pick out something he wants to hear.

I need someone to play my record collection for me so I can sit and chat instead of all the ≈20 steps involved with playing a record. Had this with a pervious neighbor coming over to play some CDs, my CDs and crank tunes. He couldn't hurt the rig and they were my CDs so I'll listen to them. That was nice. He moved to TX 20 years ago, darn.
streaming has advantages sometimes...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
streaming has advantages sometimes...
I was going to close with that but I'm still plowing through those 370 new to me CDs after having finished the 1200 new to me CDs a couple years ago. With my Discogs listings I'm learning which ones I really like and can load the change with a 5 pack, good for the days listening. More for nights listening but...

I'm still thinking I'm headed toward streaming.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I was going to close with that but I'm still plowing through those 370 new to me CDs after having finished the 1200 new to me CDs a couple years ago. With my Discogs listings I'm learning which ones I really like and can load the change with a 5 pack, good for the days listening. More for nights listening but...

I'm still thinking I'm headed toward streaming.
if i could, i would collect lps...they sound uniqie to me...but, alas...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
if i could, i would collect lps...they sound uniqie to me...but, alas...
We are well aware of how much better phono sounds on my rig than the upgraded CDP or the Rega. Played the CD Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and compared to the record and all four uninitiated listeners preferred the record.

Friend that had the CDs saved just the disc and front, removable artwork and sent the rest to recycling. Stored them in hanging files, small foot lockers. I guess kinda hard to sell at the local used store that way, but hauling them there would be easy. So he sent them to me as he massively downsized out of the possessions world. He had CDs only when we met.

i introduced him to home stereo, not the headphones and Mac to play the discs. After buying a turntable from me in the next 3500 days he purchased 4500 records. Half after moving to the other coast. Ten years later he downsized out of all the gear and records which were simple to sell and easy to make money on as he started collecting when common records were a buck or two at the used record store, rising to 5-10 each when he sold out.

Gave him the experience of owning a rig and such then moved to streaming as it got better. Happy with his journey.

I have not shown Andrew, the kid next door the difference, yet. That’s coming soon. Remember I set him up with a pair of 3-ways he bought surrounds and we installed them, no charge and he grabbed a 50-watt receiver ($1/watt) from me to enjoy 18 months ago or so. Even programmed his phone to operate the JVC receiver since that CL buy didn’t come with remote.

I didn’t mention it above but he liked all the tunes he heard and added Charlie Lines to his play list and REZN to his watch list.

Last edited: