what are you listening to?

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Some Trower mix tapes...

My first system pic in quite some time and one that reveals the McIntosh beating heart and the new shelving.
Rearranging the room and have a lot to still do.

So take what you can get! :cool:

20240625_123748 - Copy.jpg

The inexpensive Clorox shelf liner rolled material makes great, cut-to-fit, stereo rack shelf isolation layers by the way...

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Some Trower mix tapes...

My first system pic in quite some time and one that reveals the McIntosh beating heart and the new shelving.
Rearranging the room and have a lot to still do.

So take what you can get! :cool:

View attachment 82136

The inexpensive Clorox shelf liner rolled material makes great, cut-to-fit, stereo rack shelf isolation layers by the way...
I'm guessing that there Macintosh has a remote? Not sure my back would appreciate something that necessary being that low. Nice, nice system, though, Tony. What DAC or DAC/streamer are you running?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I'm guessing that there Macintosh has a remote? Not sure my back would appreciate something that necessary being that low. Nice, nice system, though, Tony. What DAC or DAC/streamer are you running?
Yes Bob, it has a competent remote.

The preamp is that low because I didn't want it at two shelves height because of the weight but also it helps in managing my planned interconnect paths.
I'm still spry enough that I sit on the floor in front of it when I'm mastering tapes & such but the remote comes in handy - as I have my home office across the room - at a fair distance. For what Mc' charges for their gear anymore, they should have included a Navi-babe to hold that dang remote! :p

I have a Sony headphone/DAC TA-ZH1ES unit that is fed by a modern Walkman but I've not really put it to good use just yet.
I do still play a good deal of music from CDs.

I may end up opting for an Aurender or something similar, with a nice big display and one that easily interfaces with that Alienware machine up-top.
Honestly, with an 18 inch laptop screen and in that position, my DAC options are wider open than I originally anticipated.

The laptop's duties for now has been for capturing vinyl off the back of the SugarCube. The Bluesound Node was originally intended to go into this system but once we started using it out in the living room, it got designated as staying put by the better-half... for like ever.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes Bob, it has a competent remote.

The preamp is that low because I didn't want it at two shelves height because of the weight but also it helps in managing my planned interconnect paths.
I'm still spry enough that I sit on the floor in front of it when I'm mastering tapes & such but the remote comes in handy - as I have my home office across the room - at a fair distance. For what Mc' charges for their gear anymore, they should have included a Navi-babe to hold that dang remote! :p

I have a Sony headphone/DAC TA-ZH1ES unit that is fed by a modern Walkman but I've not really put it to good use just yet.
I do still play a good deal of music from CDs.

I may end up opting for an Aurender or something similar, with a nice big display and one that easily interfaces with that Alienware machine up-top.
Honestly, with an 18 inch laptop screen and in that position, my DAC options are wider open than I originally anticipated.

The laptop's duties for now has been for capturing vinyl off the back of the SugarCube. The Bluesound Node was originally intended to go into this system but once we started using it out in the living room, it got designated as staying put by the better-half... for like ever.
Glad to see you have a Dell, dude :)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
They've come back their senses, after a very long haul of garbage products.
Good to know. I have one of their garbage products at work. I put my Mac laptop through the vinyl digitizing process for a couple of months back in 2017. One right after another, 6 days a week. Makes listening a lot easier but every now and then I just have to go all analog and break out the Discwasher.

And yes to the remote holder. A Navi-babe for every remote is my new campaign promise!

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I need to re'Tool' as I have rated the three I have, 1st, 2nd and 5th equally. Undertow, Aenima and 10,000 days.

But the discpack today was

The Smiths-Meat is Murder
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
Sonny Rollins Quintet With Kenny Dorham And Max Roach - Rollins Plays For Bird
Steve Tibbetts - Safe Journey
The Smashing Pumpkins - Earphoria

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
When I sent Emperer Palpatine's Number 1 Fan (my daughter) and her hubby the Star Wars geek back to Dallas with half my record collection, most of the Traffic went with them as I have it all on the computer. Glad I kept Welcome To The Canteen and my MFSL Low Spark of High Heeled Boys as they're within reach without bending over. Sounding good right now.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
I've just got to say, of all the albums I can conjure... if there is one I can irrevocably attest to never having said to myself while playing it ... "Um, no - actually - not in the mood for this right now after all.." and lifted the needle or ejected the CD ...

It would be Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys.

Does that make it the perfect album? I'm not entirely sure even what the rules are for that or what it means or if it applies.
But what I do know, when I play it, is that I have to listen to the entire thing. Front to back... and it dominates my mood in a positive way- no matter what.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've just got to say, of all the albums I can conjure... if there is one I can irrevocably attest to never having said to myself while playing it ... "Um, no - actually - not in the mood for this right now after all.." and lifted the needle or ejected the CD ...

It would be Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys.

Does that make it the perfect album? I'm not entirely sure even what the rules are for that or what it means or if it applies.
But what I do know, when I play it, is that I have to listen to the entire thing. Front to back... and it dominates my mood in a positive way- no matter what.
Wow!! Never had a statement echo my own thoughts like yours just did Tony. Absolutely agree and i do the same...the only other one that was close to it was Rare Earth-----"Ma"...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I'm enjoying Discogs more & more lately. It's the only place left (other than indoor flee markets around here... which are more miss than hit) where quality, fairly priced used & RSD offerings can be obtained.
I wish discogs would state where I’m ordering from, not just indicate the country. I buy from the goldmine rating, but would also like to know from where it’s coming. Shopping for stuff on fleabay gives a distance option, and if there’s a choice I try to buy closer for faster delivery. But yeh- discogs is my #1 source for records.

As far as “Freak Out” goes, the quality of the record is as good as a record can get. Nice and flat (180g), concentric groove (minimal side weave), and dead silent in the unmodulated areas. The music on the record throws a few bricks through the windows of what I normally call music. Odd experience, offbeat by miles, yet it’s claimed that Zappa didn’t do acid. Don’t know about that…

Record 1 was oddball doo-wop here and there, record 2 was (have to be in the mood for it, but what mood would that be?). I enjoyed this album, but it’s not going to be one I play much.