what are you listening to?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
This setup with the no-name Chinesium single driver speakers Louis gifted me a couple of months ago. Got things rearranged to accommodate swapping in a Dahlquist crossover when we get around to it but frankly, while I'm not sure about what's going on, the sound really opened up with these in place. I'm running the LSA woofs from the Parasound as normal and the single driver units from the Exposure, which also feeds the Parasound in my normal bi-amp setup for the LSAs. Been listening hard for about seven hours so far last night and today (taking a break to watch the college world series game 2) but I head Johnny Cash in the room with me earlier. Instruments/vocals are floating outside of the speaker system - what I was looking for after hearing those Dahlquists a few months back.

Something good is going on here, I just don't know what. Soundstage is both broader and deeper, instrumental placement is more specific front-back and right-left, and vocals (when mic'd properly) are in the room. Can't hear any alignment smear, even though the single driver towers are roughly a foot in front of the LSAs. I'd have never thought running four (almost) full range drivers would sound like this. I'm hearing 40 - 3000 Hz from the LSA mid-woofs and whatever the single drivers are capable of reproducing. Some bass was the missing link for those little speakers, no doubt.

Not sure I need a crossover but I'm interested to try one once Louis gets his hearing back. He had a 6 volt golf cart battery explode on him Thursday. He was about 3 feet away when it happened. He said the doc says he'll recover but it will take some time. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this setup as is while I'm getting over the right eye surgery. Contemplating some woodwork to make them more presentable.

IMG_3840.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
This setup with the no-name Chinesium single driver speakers Louis gifted me a couple of months ago. Got things rearranged to accommodate swapping in a Dahlquist crossover when we get around to it but frankly, while I'm not sure about what's going on, the sound really opened up with these in place. I'm running the LSA woofs from the Parasound as normal and the single driver units from the Exposure, which also feeds the Parasound in my normal bi-amp setup for the LSAs. Been listening hard for about seven hours so far last night and today (taking a break to watch the college world series game 2) but I head Johnny Cash in the room with me earlier. Instruments/vocals are floating outside of the speaker system - what I was looking for after hearing those Dahlquists a few months back.

Something good is going on here, I just don't know what. Soundstage is both broader and deeper, instrumental placement is more specific front-back and right-left, and vocals (when mic'd properly) are in the room. Can't hear any alignment smear, even though the single driver towers are roughly a foot in front of the LSAs. I'd have never thought running four (almost) full range drivers would sound like this. I'm hearing 40 - 3000 Hz from the LSA mid-woofs and whatever the single drivers are capable of reproducing. Some bass was the missing link for those little speakers, no doubt.

Not sure I need a crossover but I'm interested to try one once Louis gets his hearing back. He had a 6 volt golf cart battery explode on him Thursday. He was about 3 feet away when it happened. He said the doc says he'll recover but it will take some time. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this setup as is while I'm getting over the right eye surgery. Contemplating some woodwork to make them more presentable.

View attachment 82119
Bob, I have a plethora of XR 2001's and you are more than welcome to borrow one to see if that is a way you would like to go...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Whoa!! Joes rockin hard today! Cookie Monster Music!!
I will likely go through all the Metallica CDs I have Lee. It’s your fault with all your Tool talk. I will have to get Pneuma in the near future to listen on my setup. I like that tune. The rating folks like other Tool recordings more than Fear Inoculum. Have you given the other Tool stuff a listen Lee?

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Bob, I have a plethora of XR 2001's and you are more than welcome to borrow one to see if that is a way you would like to go...
Thanks for that, Lee. I may hit you up for one to experiment. Louis is closer to home, so I'm going to start with one of his (probably a Dahlquist). I can only send signal one direction as the Exposure doesn't have jumpers between the amp and preamp. There's only a feed to a second amp. All I can do is cut the signal going from the Exposure to the Parasound to eliminate whatever frequencies I want going to the LSA woofs. Will the XR 2001s work that simply?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I will likely go through all the Metallica CDs I have Lee. It’s your fault with all your Tool talk. I will have to get Pneuma in the near future to listen on my setup. I like that tune. The rating folks like other Tool recordings more than Fear Inoculum. Have you given the other Tool stuff a listen Lee?
Yes I have Joe, I bought "Opiate", "Undertow" and "Laterlus"... Hard to believe they are the same band on some of it. The stuff that didn't sound like "fear" I had a Meh reaction. But about 4 listening rounds in , it's starting to take. I'm starting to like it. Not as much as Fear, but its listenable.
Joe I think the one I don't have--"10,000 Days" is supposed to be pretty good too...

Pneuma is not the best track on that album Joe...Im guessing you'll think the same also...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thanks for that, Lee. I may hit you up for one to experiment. Louis is closer to home, so I'm going to start with one of his (probably a Dahlquist). I can only send signal one direction as the Exposure doesn't have jumpers between the amp and preamp. There's only a feed to a second amp. All I can do is cut the signal going from the Exposure to the Parasound to eliminate whatever frequencies I want going to the LSA woofs. Will the XR 2001s work that simply?

I believe they can Bob. Hit up Ashly's website and look under "Legacy" listings for manual downloads...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes I have Joe, I bought "Opiate", "Undertow" and "Laterlus"... Hard to believe they are the same band on some of it. The stuff that didn't sound like "fear" I had a Meh reaction. But about 4 listening rounds in , it's starting to take. I'm starting to like it. Not as much as Fear, but its listenable.
Joe I think the one I don't have--"10,000 Days" is supposed to be pretty good too...

Pneuma is not the best track on that album Joe...Im guessing you'll think the same also...
The raters have Laterlus as the number one recording that they did. What is your take?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, just listened to Lateralus and Fear....no comparison...."Fear Inoculum " all the way A very well engineered album too BTW.... After listening to it real loud I'm ready to gather up the clan and right some wrongs..,.