Ultra-high performance low-buck phono preamp (DIY project!)

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Got me some RCA wye connectors so I could add the speakers from the Bradford system downstairs!

Rockin’!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So, the original aluminum face plate had two knobs on it originally (volume and selector). I'm only using one, but there is a large counterbore like the one I am using, under the copper. So I made a "washer" to make up the difference and keep the bushing aligned etc.

IMG_4184.JPG IMG_4185.JPG

Then I got the engraving filled with appliance epoxy spray paint. It's great stuff but takes a week to fully cure (or be topcoated). So, I think I may have to wait the week because the copper will tarnish within a week, and then not look as nice. But I'll probably work on polishing the chamfers in the meantime.

IMG_4186.JPG IMG_4187.JPG IMG_4188.JPG IMG_4189.JPG

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
So, the original aluminum face plate had two knobs on it originally (volume and selector). I'm only using one, but there is a large counterbore like the one I am using, under the copper. So I made a "washer" to make up the difference and keep the bushing aligned etc.

View attachment 60498 View attachment 60499

Then I got the engraving filled with appliance epoxy spray paint. It's great stuff but takes a week to fully cure (or be topcoated). So, I think I may have to wait the week because the copper will tarnish within a week, and then not look as nice. But I'll probably work on polishing the chamfers in the meantime.

View attachment 60500 View attachment 60501 View attachment 60502 View attachment 60503
How are you planning on removing the excess paint?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thanks!

I just designed it. There are great machine shops all over the area. This guy does cash deals with me. Not cheap, but cheapER.

I have access to a couple lathes but the mills are barely suitable as drill presses. Wasted ways on them and I’m the only person that ever oils the heads. Junk.

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
You should be justifiably proud of your accomplishment. I'm all about a beautiful car having a matching engine bay revealed when the hood is raised. Gotta feel good to be on that side of the finish line...

PS - Really like the jet engine blade wall art -- gives the workspace a little senseless mil-spec beauty. :0)

Cheers --

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those are the current blend limits for the P&W F100-229 HPC blades.

(Engine used on the F-15 and F-16)

That's the inspection area at work...