tube vs solid state

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Speakerman knows the signals should be split, or in this case high-pass filtered, before they go to the drivers. It should not matter if there is 1 tweeter or 100 tweeters as long as they are wired in a series parallel convention to equal 16 Ohms. I assume you are talking about supplying a crossover for each speaker? That would be a huge waste of components, not to mention the huge insertion loss to the audio signal.

If your tweeters or mids will not go down to 500 Hz in frequency response then the JBL 3160 is not for you. I would be looking at a JBL 3120A with a crossover at 1250 Hz or even a JBL 3105 with a crossover at 7000 Hz.

The JBL is the only crossover that I am familiar with that will handle 600 Watts RMS all day long.

I'm just sayin' if you are connecting a crossover to a WOPL 1000 (formerly Phase Linear 700/700B) then you need a JBL 3160 in your speaker design.

Mark

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
If I knew how he built them I forgot. I forget yesterday. 21/20s 600 pounds I think I read this morning. 35-25,000 range. 98 sensitivity, 8 ohm. Minimum 20 watts. Didn't see a max. I can find out though if need be. Lee what all do you have 6/6, 12/12, 21/20s. Could we make money with a new 12/12 for 6 to 8 grand?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Larrt there are some 20/21's and some 12/12's.

Mark, Larrt. I still have the sales circular from them. Loet me find it and post it.

speakerman1

Tagline
Even the 12/12s chunk of change w/o x overs. I was looking this morning at the tweeters over 1200.00. That was Parts Express retail. Didn't look at wholesale.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Larrt, you and I had a lot of e-mails about those Epiphany's. In fact I've archived every e-mail I had from you...

speakerman1

Tagline
Some of them are rather entertaining...
For the lack of a better word. I'll bet they were. I can only imagine. Really I don't want to know. I use to be a good drunk phone calling fool. Forgetting time differences. LOL Today you better email me before you call. Funny how people change. LOL Would be watching someone do something. People would ask what are you looking at? People they are so fun to watch.

speakerman1

Tagline
I wouldn't judge all tubes by the Heath Kits. There is some Chinese tube amps out there that do not sound bad for the price. To me every brand of amps have their own sound. I like Yamaha, Rotel, Creek, Hafler. I do weird things. Dynamat on the bottom of an amp so there won't be any resonance coming up through the bottom. A lot of my components were bought unheard. Just by people talking about them is why they were bought. Even just asking in other forums. SS or Tubes I'm going to read and discuss before I make up my mind. You use to be able to go by THD. Today's numbers are just crazy. .00004% Numbers like that are crazy. Might as well say 0 distortion.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
SA-1000

I bought an SA-1000 (Fisher) about 7 or 8 years ago for about $1500.00. Best tube amp I have, I think.

I like both SS and tubes, and think there is a place for both, unless the SS is a WOP, then all bets are off.

I think the comparison is kinda like comparing a 35mm camera to a digital one. How many Gig is a Nikon FM2? UNLIMITED, but you can't really compare. They are different animals.