Technics RS-B965

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
I am not sure the 965 has trimpots for FR.
on Technics service manuals, what they use to call "overall frequency response" are actually the bias trimpots.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I'm on my phone traveling, I'll try to find time to download the service manual on desktop once I get home and look. But I haven't owned a cassette in years and never had a real deck, so don't know much about them.
"Fr" may be frequency response.
My experience using soundcard based testing software leaves me wondering how accurate it really is.
If you need a oscilloscope to test this, now might be a good excuse to get one and learn how to use it.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
I am not sure the 965 has trimpots for FR.
on Technics service manuals, what they use to call "overall frequency response" are actually the bias trimpots.
Im not sure what they are, think they are 301 and 302. Possible that it is biasing.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
I'm on my phone traveling, I'll try to find time to download the service manual on desktop once I get home and look. But I haven't owned a cassette in years and never had a real deck, so don't know much about them.
"Fr" may be frequency response.
My experience using soundcard based testing software leaves me wondering how accurate it really is.
If you need a oscilloscope to test this, now might be a good excuse to get one and learn how to use it.
As I see it, how soundcard is working tepends on drivers and that brings us to "how accurate measuring is" That is a big question but nomatter how accurate, two different decks kan be still compared. Better deck should not give worse results.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Im not sure what they are, think they are 301 and 302. Possible that it is biasing.
yes, VR301 and VR302 are the bias trimpots (overall frequency response) while for example VR5 and VR6 are Rec gain trimpots (overall gain adj.)

Technics manuals use the word "overall" for the recording parameters, also on the older models from the RS-M series.
And i understand this word "overall" can be confusing.

the PB freq. response needs to change parts values to be modified, for example.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
yes, VR301 and VR302 are the bias trimpots (overall frequency response) while for example VR5 and VR6 are Rec gain trimpots (overall gain adj.)

Technics manuals use the word "overall" for the recording parameters, also on the older models from the RS-M series.
And i understand this word "overall" can be confusing.

the PB freq. response needs to change parts values to be modified, for example.
Are you sure that non of caps are replaced on yours 965 as a part of mods?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think these questions should be directed to A.N.T. He is probably best qualified (my opinion) to help with this.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you sure that non of caps are replaced on yours 965 as a part of mods?
Actually, I am not able to reply to this... simply because both of my 965 were modified by Alex himself.
What I do know for sure is that both of my 965 play and record just lovely. :)

Anyways, the above plot shared by Alex, from an untouched 965 in source mode, shows only about half dB roll-off from 100Hz down to 20Hz and less than half dB roll-off from 20Khz to 40Khz.
While your plots at the beginning of this thread show several dBs of roll-off from about 300Hz down to 20Hz which, IMHO, would be easily noticeable by ears if that measurement plot is what actually happens into your 965 decks.
So, do you also feel that lack of bass by ears or are you only seeing it while measuring?

Last edited:

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Crazy. Isn't it?

Level at decks is slightly lower then level at soundcard, it doesn't matter.

Loop at card in/out is a little bit higher (0.5db) over the 800Hz, doesn't matter too.
727 is about 2 db lower up to, say, 800Hz, not a big deal (not huge in any case).
965 is about 13db lower than soundcard loop up to 800Hz and about 11db lower than 727. Not a big deal. It's a disaster! It have to be something that is killing low frequencies. Some capacitor or I don't know what.

1634392416454.png

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Alex SE.... this latter plot of yours is making me thinking about something else...
Don't know if what I am going to say here can apply or not... but I remember such kind of filtering on the bass while experimenting with some external filters added at decks' inputs and outputs to be able to record Cr tapes at 120microseconds (as suggested by Alex/ANT at that other place in the past) when decks used to have different input or output impedances...
I understand that, maybe, impedance mismatches between devices should only change the levels but, hey, if there is some kind of (unwanted) capacitance in the middle then also the response will change and, usually, just with similar shapes as you are showing there in your latest plot, making the impedance mismatches joined with some capacitance acting just like EQ filters.

At this point, it might be interesting to measure the input and output impedances of your soundcard and your decks.

Anyways, it's just a wild guess... because, really, I don't know which your exact problem actually is.

Last edited:

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Alex SE.... this latter plot of yours is making me thinking about something else...
Don't know if what I am going to say here can apply or not... but I remember such kind of filtering on the bass while experimenting with some external filters added at decks' inputs and outputs to be able to record Cr tapes at 120microseconds (as suggested by Alex/ANT at that other place in the past) when decks used to have different input or output impedances...
I understand that, maybe, impedance mismatches between devices should only change the levels but, hey, if there is some kind of (unwanted) capacitance in the middle then also the response will change and, usually, just with similar shapes as you are showing there in your latest plot, making the impedance mismatches joined with some capacitance acting just like EQ filters.

At this point, it might be interesting to measure the input and output impedances of your soundcard and your decks.

Anyways, it's just a wild guess... because, really, I don't know which your exact problem actually is.

It's not impossible what you are saying.
Soundcard have 36,7/39 Ohm on the output and input cant be measured because it starts from 10 MOhms ang going up to over 20 MOhms.
965 have a 100.4/99.7 Ohms on the output and input is also over 10MOhms

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
An now something really weird:
When I go to Set up for sweep testing (see picture) and choose "Mono, right/left ch. ref" instead for "Stereo, no ch. ref.", results are totally different. Interesting is that signal have always the same level no matter how I turn Rec level potentiometer on a deck. What is to be trusted?

1634406146629.png
1634406508727.png

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Test one channel at a time. That seems to be the rule.
That's what I have posted in #33. Question is only if that measurements are relevant/correct. Differences between frequencies +/-1db are OK for me. Doesn't have to be ruler flat, within 1db I think it's OK.

As I said, question is only if last measuring I did is correct.

One more thing. RS-BX727 have 5.2 kOhms on output, 965 have 100Ohms (when turned off). Is it possible that it can be such a difference? Should I measure when decks are on?

Last edited:

George S.

Depends on if you've calibrated the software to your sound card output voltage. This is normally mV. One of the reasons I use REW software is it auto calibrates to the soundcards mV output. Of course I check this with a 60 Hz test tone (U.S.) and a voltmeter. If all parameters are properly set such as bit depth, windows sound settings, etc, and software voltage calibration, then that's as good as it gets. Is it somewhat accurate? Probably good enough for home use. Laboratory accurate? Don't think so, maybe probably close enough.
Best we can do is try different software and compare, or spend big bucks for real equipment.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
What I don't really get it, what those numbers means (have used 60Hz as you said, but same is when I use 400Hz). Is it voltage? Because when I remove RCA from output and measure with DMM it measures 1080mV or 1.080V. Should I put 1080 or 254 there?

1634410656450.png

George S.

This is one of the issues why I use REW, and I have searched for the answer many times, finally got that part working, but it was a good while ago. ARTA is very similar. Pretty sure the voltage calibration determines how far from the 0 dB line the generated traces are drawn. Right now this isn't a real issue for you, as your just doing comparisons. You can work on this later
The real issue for you is not to under drive or over drive the unit with the built in tone generator output. Luckily you should have built in VU meters so you can monitor the level and adjust the tone generator output to a good usable level as shown by your meters.
For comparison, on the Phase Linear preamps I was working on last several months, I was using a 142 mV 2 kHz sine wave tone to do spectrum analysis. That seemed to be comparable to the 18 Db sweep function that REW has built in.
But you'll have to experiment. Set your tone generator output low, all potentiometers on the unit as normal, and do a sweep watching the VU meters. Bring the mV up until the meters look good. There you go.
I'm working today, have to run.

George S.

Oh, and set the mV level in the tone generator, not the calibration box. Don't sweat that calibration box now. Get those meters showing good sweep level.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Installed REW as advised and even ASIO4ALL. Tested it for couple of minuts, seems ro work nice with some minor bugs (GUI) and it works only with Java drivers. If I choose ASIO, input select is grayed. Have to see if that is about settings somewhere outside REW. Otherwise I like it. Thanx!