Sutton's Phase Linear, White Oak 500

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Skratch said:
Just got a call from my kid, Campus police were called to the frat house, music was way too loud. Only took a week. His buddies think the 400 is really neat with the meters bouncing to +3

THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT---RIGHT THERE111111

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Maybe the police were called because they were listening to rap or hip-hop. I would have called the police myself. Now, if they were listening to John Coltrane, Miles Davis, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc. Then I'm sure the police would have told them to have a good day.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Mark What is your JBL setup. I have a pair of D-130F that I got out of an old Fender Bassman

mlucitt

The D-130s are very nice but some of the ones out of the guitar amps have been abused, however they are easily reconed. Wanna sell? For my home theater setup I have four JBL L-36 3-way speakers for the front and rear channels. I tried a JBL sub and it was not strong enough at the time (maybe they are now, but I don't like the pwered subs) so I have a Titanic 15" in a cabinet I built myself running back to a Crown Microtech 600 in mono.

For the Phase Linear face melting experience I have a pair of custom built cabinets similar to the Altec Valencia. They each have the JBL 3110 passive crossover, 15" JBL 2226 Woofers, and horns comprised of the JBL 2426 driver and the 2370A biradial horn. They have about 6 Ohms DC resistance and they can handle the modified Phase Linear 700B pushing 489 Watts per side. Enough that the amp finally overheated after a prolonged session of Humble Pie - Performance: Rockin' the Filmore. Did I mention it was pretty loud?

I used to play roadie for a band and I've been in the warehouse at West LA Music, where the visiting bands used to get their equipment for shows at the Forum, Long Beach Arena, Hollywood Bowl, etc. Lots of JBL in that place. Had a guy once tell me that you could take a pair of the JBL pro 15" woofers and connect them to the AC outlet in your house and they would hum at 60Hz for quite a while, never tried it though.

My bass cabinet has four of the JBL 12" 2206 mid-low frequency speakers and I have tried to blow them up with a 1000 Watt amp I built but I can't seem to smoke them with my horrible bass playing.

Mark

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
What is special about a JBL 3110 crossover?? Wasn't around much JBL stuff, but what I heard always sounded good.
Am I the only guy that thinks subs are redundant with a good system?? What's the rolloff at 20HZ with your setup Mark?? I think mine was down 1 db at 20- and 1-1/2 at 17hz. And I guess its not that it gets down there but does it so F%$#^%$ loud and clean that amazes me. The Al Klappenberger crossovers are world class and a K-Horn is a totally different speaker running them. Al even states in his website that improvemenmts can be made to the K's EXCEPT----- the bass bins, THAT he said PWK got right the first time and they have only gotten better as driver performance has gotten caught up to them.
I wish I knew more about this end of it. Having the correct driver for the cabinet was never as evident as when I replaced the stock Eminence woofs with some Crites 1526S's, it was a phenomenal change, a totally different world. Jani ran downstairs and said whatever speakers you replaced those with get a spare pair, I've never heard anything like it. So -----I did. Hard to argue with that, like I would ya know. And I still don't know how much they'll take. I have replaced the caps for the tweets along with the swamping resistor after an extended mini concert and have upped the recommended 1.5 amp fuse to 3's then when they wouldn't hold went to 5';s. haven't taken them out but I think I was close last night. Got real radical with Supertramps "Fools Overature" that is what we will play as we scatter our son's (Levi's) ashes this summer, I got a little emo and cranked it pretty hard, then turned around and tortured the poor things with BTO's " Not Fragile"--- as you would say----at a sublimely insane----level.

mlucitt

I don't know what it is with the 3110 except everything is potted and it helps dissipate the heat. JBL did use good components (I opened one of mine up) and they are built like a tank.

For the sub the real difference is not the speaker, it is the program material and how it is processed. If you have a 5.1 the encoded sub bass signal goes to the "Sub Out" connection and you get some real nice harmonics down very low. I only use mine for video, but when I watch concert DVDs, you better not have your beer on the subwoofer enclosure, because it will walk off the edge. Other people use a sub for stereo with a crossover that mimics a sub bass signal and then amplifies it. Some of them are good, but I am like you, I prefer adequate woofers in my stereo speakers. The problem is you need a speaker like the K-horn or some bass bins like the Altec A5 or A7 but then your room needs to be 50 x 50 to really take advantage of that woofer throw.

Just for fun, I put some bass shakers in the bottom of the Laz-E-Boys and that is an E-ticket ride. The chair shakes and you think the room is coming down but it is only the chair. It's a hoot.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe has requested that he be the one to release the schematic for a certain amount of time. Mark and I have one for troubleshooting of course but was also sworn to secrecy. Contact Joe. i think you have to swear you won't release it further without written permission from him.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Finished Joe's board, went very well, double checked all my work and didn't have to rework anything. Ordering the green screw type wire terminals from Mouser and when they come will put the board in.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It's hard to believe it could be laid out any better. I think Joe is one of those guys that explores every possibility, and if something changes , goes through the whole list again. I know he spent months on it. every once in awhile he send a little teaser of his progress, it was hard to contain my enthusiasm. He's an engineers engineer, every good conotation meant.