Sutton's Phase Linear, White Oak 500

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
I was going through the BOM for the White Oak Board and noticed that there are no more TIS97 and they are obsolete. I was listening to Dorset Perception last night and my wife asked me who they were, told her it was the Dell Computer tech group. Also on the 400 do you use the 21194's for the outputs and 15024"s for drivers.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Skratch, MJ15024 is the generally accepted replacement driver around here even though the device is overkill in that position. The replacement output can be the MJ21194 or the slightly more robust (and less expensive) MJ21196G. I believe the specs are identical except for the higher Safe Operating Are (SOA) in the MJ21196G.

Lee has TIS97 transistors, he grabbed them all for us. He only charges a Van Alstine preamp for a bag of 10 transistors.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Guys, I am going to put a White Oak Super Phase Linear 400 on E-bay as soon as I get the screw terminals for the board. 45 amp 1000 volt bridge, all new .22 5% emitter resistors, all new other resistors and diodes in the output section. New gold plated input and speaker terminals that will accept #10 speaker wire. White oak 16,200uf cap board and blue LED board. RCA 410 drivers and matched XPL 909 outputs. What do you think I should sell it for?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Mark
Please ensure that the XPL909 are the BLUE marking and not the GREEN marking. Else you will be doing the new owner a disservice.

mlucitt

Skratch, you have $300 in that amp not including the cost of the original amp, which can go from $150 for a unit that looks like it fell out of a truck to $300 for a perfect faceplate and perfect meters ($400 if there is a wooden enclosure). You will never get all your labor back but I would place a starting bid at $600 if the unit is really nice.

I think the issue is that many bidders will not know what a great amp that is and what the White Oak Audio Design board does to give the amp a personality that it never had before.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Men , THE PHASE WORLD has not seen us yet!!!!!! The amp that I am going to put on E-bay is going to cost me more than it cost me to do it. But!!!!! I want to see what people who grew up with us think about what we are trying to do.

mlucitt

Skratch, I propose that you have the designer of the WOA main board and the first customer on this forum. They could be consulted on the item description as your amp goes up on Ebay and we could "go to the next level" on some serious specifications and detailed descriptions of the capabilities of the amp as upgraded by this board.

This is a chance for some free advertising and as you said, "They Phase World has not seen us yet" to know what is on the auction block. So let's educate them. There are at least three individuals "upgrading" these amps and they are basically just changing caps. Let's show them who's the boss.

I'm just sayin. Joe and Lee, please chime in here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I would love to have one of my 700B's ready to go. Both will go eventually. The Series I's sound better to me, pluis the 1.3KW monster will take up enough rack room for 2 700B's. The last 700B to go on E-Bay that 21196's a nd new caps went for 1100.00 I think a nice PLWO would fetch 1600-1800.
I've been throwing some gigs in on some of "The Restorers" about what was done and nothin like we do. Ed Blackwood is the only on e I know of that does a restore and goes through EVERYTHING. He's not interested in doing WO conversions, although he said Joe's board intrigued him and would proobably put it in his personal 400(yes i sent him a board)_

Thew problem is not only one of perception but also understanding. To understand what these upgrades do and to what extent is not easily grasdped, hell, I barely understand what's going on. So to garner a premiuim out of one of these conversions it's gonna be to a group of people who are not hung up on the PL< mystique to the point where not being able to convert them back doesn't bother them. I think a majority of folks will shy away from them thinking this will hurt resale value. THEN -there are those like us who KNOW that this is a much better amp than stock with most of the "Flame Linear" traits GONE!!

When you consider watts/dollar these are game changers. And when you look closer, at how clean and detailed they are, I don't believe there is a newly manufactured amp that can compete./

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Skratch said:
Men, The XPL 909"s are all blue (just like jonnie walker}
Skratch, the distortion figures for the XPL-909's compared to the MJ 15024's as drivers were terrible. To boast of improved distortion figures you should be running the new MJ's as outputs. Joe did some head to head comparisons, did you see that spreadsheet??

mlucitt

I think that is Spreadsheet #3, posted on Jul 14, 2011, on page 29 of the "Jerry's ONLY ONE IN THE COUNTRY Phase Linear 700" thread.

To be fair, those higher distortion figures could have been caused by just one of the vintage PL909 devices, or even one of the RCA 410s. It would be good if we could evaluate the individual devices, anyone have a Tektronix CA4810A Curve Tracer? In any case, Joe showed us how low the distortion could go with modern devices. What would the figure look like if they were all matched MJ21196G's?

Now where is spreadsheet #1 and #2?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
that was my thought also, what is the distortion at when we go 24's as drivers and 96's as outputs.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I was looking at some Audio Precision One analyzers, probably way more than I need. Pricey too. Buty I noticve Joe uses the 8903B. What about the 331,334??

mlucitt

I was just now looking at those on flea-bay. Maybe Joe will swoop in and rescue us from ourselves and tell us that the ones we can afford (333A and 334A) are not good enough for the measurements we need to make and the 8903B is the best because of so and so.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I haven't researched the 333 and 334 but I will take a quick look. The nice thing about the 8903 is the HPIB interface on it that allows you to do an automated sweep and capture of results data in an extremely short period of time. Something that is not offered on the earlier analog units. The 333 and 334 can be had for a song. If you are patient, I am sure an Ebay deal will come around on the 8903 as well.