Stephens Phase Linear 400--In for the works.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
It is a New England legendary donut franchise that has been around for half a century or more. They had coffee before Starbucks had coffee.

They have funny commercials featuring folks with New England accents. One of them has a line in it "What's a Connecticut." Could not resist when you wrote your line Lee.
You know what's even funnier? There is no Connecticut accent LOL

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
How can they slay it that F*&^*( bad?
Lots of New Englandisms Lee.

One of the neighbors down the street had that "wicked pissa Woosta" accent. They used to say "Howaya" for How are you when they greeted you. We took to calling them the "Howayas" as a result. One day a friend of my son was over and asked who the "Hawaiians" were that were on our street that we talked about from time to time :)

That is still a joke around the house.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Talked to Steve tonight. The McIntosh MC2100's running in bridged mode literally kicked the SS400's ass in SHEER POWER---------ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

In soundstage, 400 by a large margin
In attack the same, in refrain the 400.
Bass response---the 400.
Sheer clarity---the 400

NOW THE BIGGIE!!!! THE SILVER SHADOW 400 WAS QUIETER-------BY A LARGE MARGIN!!!!!!!

Guys the little 400 took 4 out of 6!!!
Here are my thoughts... LOL.. Alot of amps will have more power... Hell.. I gotta Halfer P-500 sitting in the closet that's supposed to have more power... Does it sound better ???? NO NO NO !!!! Once ya cross that 200 plus WPC ya got the power !!!! Big power dont mean ya got soundstage.....Bass responce... and Sheer clarity !!!!! LOL... Now... KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ME TALKING !!!!! I used to think the more power the better it sounded !!!!!

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
The McIntosh amps must be severely underrated to be able to have substantially more power (kick it's ass) than a 270+ watt/ch WOPL or the preamp could not drive the WOPL properly. That's a strange one.

Northwinds

Tagline
The McIntosh amps must be severely underrated to be able to have substantially more power (kick it's ass) than a 270+ watt/ch WOPL or the preamp could not drive the WOPL properly. That's a strange one.
They are not though, that's why I think this result is BS. Besides, it took two of them so it's no contest anyway, might as well run two WOPL 400s and really bury them. A bone stock 400 would be an even match for 1 bridged 2100. A WOPL 400 should have won going away w/ over 100w of extra power split between two channels. My quasi pushes almost 260wpc IIRC The full comps push almost 300wpc now and I believe one of Lee's in fact went over 300wpc but he would have to confirm that, I think he said around 315 with a hotter tranny

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I was having trouble with a switch on my load that day. Steves SS400 did 290-291.

It also went up against a pair of Bryston 7Bst's. Lost the power war there but that was all. The 7B is what, 900?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The pre amp was a Threshold T3.

Northwinds

Tagline
I was having trouble with a switch on my load that day. Steves SS400 did 290-291.

It also went up against a pair of Bryston 7Bst's. Lost the power war there but that was all. The 7B is what, 900?

The 7B's are around 600w each so they put 1200w up against a lil old 400 hehehehe. That's like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly

Northwinds

Tagline
Remember guys, bridging an amp quadruples it's power, not doubles it.

Explain?

the 2100's are 105wpc, bridged is 210wpc so how is that quadrupled? Should it not be 420wpc then????

So if you could bridge a WOPL 400 then it would be 1600w+??? You lost me Lee

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Bridging doubles the negative half and doubles the positive half, net affect 4x the power. So those little Mac's were doing 400 into 8. And it took 2.

Northwinds

Tagline
Bridging doubles the negative half and doubles the positive half, net affect 4x the power. So those little Mac's were doing 400 into 8. And it took 2.

I thought when an amp is bridged, it halves the impedence so 105wpc at 8ohms would be 210wpc at 4 ohms??? I guess I am stupider at this stuff then I thought. I think I will just go back to reading more instead of posting wrong assertions. I think I will spend some of today reading up more on this stuff online

Say you wanted to run two WOPL 400s bridged... what would be the net output and ohms?

Last edited: