Stephens Phase Linear 400--In for the works.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The little beauty is getting everything I know how to do and then some possibly. Copper heatsinks, backplane boards, Rev "D" Driver board in fully comp mode.New PS caps, LED board, and fondled extensively by me.
Boards are done.

Attachments

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Stephen is one lucky dude..... That amp will be a BABY DOLL !!! What GREAT hands it's in....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
BTW, thank You Kev. Building Chris' set of crossovers this week. He's coming for a 3 day visit to drop off A BUNCH of gear he wants me to sell, and pick up his woofs, midrange drivers and crossovers. The crossovers component cost was 324.71 so that was not too bad. Already have your woofs, 2" compression drivers, no horns yet, and no tweeters. Chris is bringing a trunk full of tweets we are going to try in the Super K's so I may have a different recommendation other than the CT-125's or DE 10's.

kevin

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO... I had not seen that thread !!!!!!!! HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON THAT !!!!! I,ve got an idea.... That bastad !!!!!! Thats funny !!!!

kevin

Yep !!! JUST POSTED OVER THERE !!! Thats way to funny man.... You gotta tell me how ya found that !

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So, after putting together a few of these boards a few tricks have been hatched. The threaded inserts with the Kapton sticker is a PITA, that is, IF YA WANNA keep it on till the soldering is done.See the pics, the sticker is larger than the insert.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You are warming up a very large power or ground plane. Takes a lot of heat, well directed. The little bastahds like to spin, tip, dance, and roll. The soldering iron interferes with the overhang of the orange stuff. I was using the smallest tip available, so I squished it in the vise and made a thin shovel point out of it. I can now come in under the overhang, and tag the insert and even create a little downforce which greatly improves heat transfer. A solder miniscus is VERY hard to get consistent, and the heat needed to warm up the surrounding area to get it able to wet the solder is enough to darken the board if you stay in one place to long. If you move, you have to do it slowly so you don't leave a "Wake" as you leave. It's tough to keep a professional touch on it.

Attachments