Stephens Phase Linear 400--In for the works.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
They should be over that one, it was pretty special. Didn't want to see it go. The lottery amp is wayyy close to it too. Tony's gettin him a good one.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Not a peep, I think we've lost him too!! Man, they get everyody...

Not a peep out of Richard D either....

Whos "they" that gets everybody? Me thinks the Mac's got crushed and now they are are running frantically around wringing their hands wondering how they are going to break it to their peeps LMAO

Last edited:

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
You're teasing us Lee. I can't wait to see the results.

The McIntosh gear was highly rated when I bought my first system in the mid 70s and they have a large following but the cost was way out of my reach. I've read about a number of upgrades for McIntosh components but nothing like the White Oak upgrades for Phase Linear. The shootout results should be fascinating.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Nav, I'm not teasing, I just don't know and it's been silent on the other end. He's a fraud investigator and gets pretty damn busy sometimes...he gets the big cases.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Talked to Steve tonight. The McIntosh MC2100's running in bridged mode literally kicked the SS400's ass in SHEER POWER---------ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

In soundstage, 400 by a large margin
In attack the same, in refrain the 400.
Bass response---the 400.
Sheer clarity---the 400

NOW THE BIGGIE!!!! THE SILVER SHADOW 400 WAS QUIETER-------BY A LARGE MARGIN!!!!!!!

Guys the little 400 took 4 out of 6!!!

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Does not surprise me. I counted and didn't the 400 win 5 of 6?
Talked to Steve tonight. The McIntosh MC2100's running in bridged mode literally kicked the SS400's ass in SHEER POWER---------ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

Bass response---the 400.
Sheer clarity---the 400

NOW THE BIGGIE!!!! THE SILVER SHADOW 400 WAS QUIETER-------BY A LARGE MARGIN!!!!!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Bass response---the 400.
Sheer clarity---the 400

MC2100 has a damping factor of only 14 and an SNR of only 90dB

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Not these, the had been worked on by Cornell stewart. Mac's rep, and tech west of the Mississippi, they weren't stock.. I'm not doubting the damping number Joe, but Steve said these were quieter than stock and were still beaten by a wide margin...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe is damping factor the same even though going through an output transformer?
Any damping factor that the SS amp had on the primary of the transformer is lost going through the transformer. I don't know why Mc hangs onto that transformer coupled architecture.

Also low global feedback gets you low damping factor. That severely affects bass control and sound.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So that means output inpedence on an output coupoled amp is in the basement?
Sort of Lee, I know what you are driving at. The act of putting a transformer to couple the amp output to the load preserves the impedance that the speaker wants to see very faithfully but that secondary of the transformer is basically running open loop, without feedback control.

Let me give you an example that may compare.

The big power transformer on the Phase Linear has a secondary that is only loosely coupled to the AC Grid input. The AC grid input could be said to have a very large damping factor, that is you have to do something really major to it to change its frequency or output voltage by very much. The Grid is very stiff.

However on the secondary of that PL power transformer, you can short a bridge rectifier for example, it blows the 10A input fuse but has not really affected what happened on your line voltage (primary side) very much.

Probably a lousy example but one that has some relevance.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Believe it or not it makes sense. So when a driver is behaving badly the control features need to go through a committee...