Stephens Phase Linear 400--In for the works.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Misread what you wrote. "400 by a large margin, In attack the same" threw me off. Thought you meant 400 won attack competition by large margin!

Talked to Steve tonight. The McIntosh MC2100's running in bridged mode literally kicked the SS400's ass in SHEER POWER---------ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

In soundstage, 400 by a large margin
In attack the same, in refrain the 400.
Bass response---the 400.
Sheer clarity---the 400

NOW THE BIGGIE!!!! THE SILVER SHADOW 400 WAS QUIETER-------BY A LARGE MARGIN!!!!!!!

Guys the little 400 took 4 out of 6!!!

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I am a bit confused... the MC2100 is only a 105wpc amp and bridged should be around 210w mono so how the heck did it have more power not to mention that it took two of them? That seems like loaded results favoring the MC's to save some dignity! The WOPL should have beat them in power factor also since it's well over 250wpc. Could you explain how the 400 got beat by sheer power? The WOPL still has more power then 2 of them McIntosh's

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Good question. I shall persue that line of investigation. Perhaps it was throwing the dog a bone, but Steve has been very objective to this point.

Northwinds

Tagline
1000B up against a MA500. Now THAT would be a gunfight

ML 333 against a 400. My quasi is more "live" IMO then the 333 that I had. Both are sick for power available right to the firewall. Both are very quiet. I would like my memory confirmed by better knowing ears. I was using a set of Infinity SM-150a's back then, some people consider them junk but I loved them

I just hooked Blackie up to the SM-120s with the Pioneer woofs this morning. Frippin' loud w/ earshaking bass but WAAAAYYYY too bright those Polycells are to my ears now :shock:. I usually leave the treble and bass flat on the preamp but I had to turn the treble back to 10 o'clock. Crossovers are already set to lowest for treble and mid. These are great garage or outside deck thunder makers though. I might Craiglist them for $100 for the pair, some UCONN college kid will grab them most likely for a dorm system. One mid is out but I think I have a spare. If not, still a fair price. Pisses me off the grills no longer fit unless I cut the innerframes to fit the Pioneer woofs outer rim

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The fully comp versions are even better, damn fine amps, Joe's a freakin genius...

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I am of the opinion you should put a wopl up against an 1800/1801.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Hrrrm Not sure on that one Lee. Never been to the US before. I would assume pretty far though.

Northwinds

Tagline
How far is Connecticut?
Probably around 8hrs to Montreal from here, not sure where Ben is. Once your in NY, you take the Northway to the Thruway and Thruway to Massachusetts Turnpike to I-95 South to Manchester, CT to last Exit on 384 to Coventry/Rt 44. I will warm up the grill LOL

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Bout 800KM... thats not as far as I thought it would be. Google says its about a 7.5hr drive.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
OK, I'm lost....Dunkin Donuts??
It is a New England legendary donut franchise that has been around for half a century or more. They had coffee before Starbucks had coffee.

They have funny commercials featuring folks with New England accents. One of them has a line in it "What's a Connecticut." Could not resist when you wrote your line Lee.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I was aware of Dunkin Donuts, wasn't an afficiando of their commercials enough to catch the reference, thanks Joe.