Sony TC-FX330 Poverty

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Between all the well build High-End decks that are shown on this forum lately I thought it would be fun to take a closer look at
an "El Cheapo" version of the famous Sony's build in the "Heydays" of cassettedecks.....

The TC-FX330 from 1986:

High performance technology and first class components comes with it:

State of the art beltdrive:

In total I'm impressed by it's build quality, features, the used plastic, and it's total weight:

With it's "yummie" 30-14.000Hz. (+/- 3dB, Type II) specs. it will be a delight to check out it's recording and play back performance!

To be coninued.... :mrgreen:

Miracle Mile

Worthy investment?

It's a shame I couldn't afford such a nice piece of equipment much earlier!

It will be given a hammering Sep, I promise! :evil4:

Miracle Mile

Be patient Sep,

Every part of the process will be reported in here... :mrgreen:

Don't worry: it won't be "hammered" in physical way, but I won't show any mercy testing it's capabilities.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
My RS-B305 from Technics feels pretty the same, the same 2heads belt driven mechanism and also very light weight and despite all that it works very nice, bottom line decks may surprise so you'll never know Miles, just give it a chance,,, but what am i saying as you tossed much better that this one.. :mrgreen:

Miracle Mile

My RS-B305 from Technics feels pretty the same, the same 2heads belt driven mechanism and also very light weight and despite all that it works very nice, bottom line decks may surprise so you'll never know Miles, just give it a chance,,, but what am i saying as you tossed much better than this one.. :mrgreen:
I only tossed ONE deck Sep! :mrgreen: Getting it repaired was too expensive.

This FX330 will be fully tested, but to be honest it feels crappy and doesn't sound very well from what I've tried so far.

Miracle Mile

First impression....

While switching it on for some normal cleaning procedures I noticed it immediately:

This deck has the NOISIEST tape transport I ever came across!
The capstan motor sounds like a heavy loaded laundromat, and it keeps turning even the deck isn't playing....

Next step: First recording:

Recording Roger Waters' Amused to Death 96/24 WAV file on an excellent quality SA tape from the eighties with Dolby (B?) switched on....

Conclusion after playing back:

First: The auto shut off doesn't work.... (I don't even know if this deck has such, but I will sort it out)
Second: If you wan't to ruin an excellent quality vintage TDK-SA tape: This is probably the easiest way!

Well, I have to sort out the "auto shut off" issue first, but there's more to come...

:evil4:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I believe I have two FX-series models including the 311. If it will operate on US mains I would be happy to adopt should you decide to send it along at some point. My first deck, a Sanyo from about 1980 had about the same Type II specs and I was happy with it for just over 20 years.

Miracle Mile

I believe I have two FX-series models including the 311. If it will operate on US mains I would be happy to adopt should you decide to send it along at some point. My first deck, a Sanyo from about 1980 had about the same Type II specs and I was happy with it for just over 20 years.
I honestly think you won't adopt this one. Besides of that the shippingcosts of it are higher than this deck is worth.

(b.t.w: don't take this thread too serious....)

orange

Tagline
Here's a happy medium: Send me a mixtape made on it, if you would?

I don't recall having any of yours and I got a Memorex DBS 90 that came from Shotwell today to send back as a challenge:

Can you tell which decks I was using in which sections if I make a multi-deck tape and give you the choices?

Miracle Mile

Here's a happy medium: Send me a mixtape made on it, if you would?

I don't recall having any of yours and I got a Memorex DBS 90 that came from Shotwell today to send back as a challenge:

Can you tell which decks I was using in which sections if I make a multi-deck tape and give you the choices?
Ah! That sounds like a very good idea!!!

I'm in!

Edit: If I had a list of your decks and the tape you recorded on them I would probably hear the differences....

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I sent you my address, need yours.

I'll up the ante...you can have it on like new, if not unused (sealed with a round gold sticker when I got it on the edge) Realistic Supertape Gold, C-60 if you wish...

1978-83 version! (like this only 60 min and cat no, 44-921)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Miles: Now this is a different tack. Perhaps, you should have renamed your thread "Sony TC-K Series Wannabe?"

You have to look more closely at some of the higher grade features the TC-K series doesn't have that the FX series does have. For example, the 330 has those quick-acting DJ-style sliders for recording level control. You could do some serious panning with the left and right controls to trick the listener of your psychedelic mix tape that's exactly how it came off the album.

Dual mic inputs: those are for serious field recordings. And that's also why it was purposely engineered to be so light. You don't need to be packing an 11-12 kg. TC-K950ES beast in your knapsack across town while pedalling your 21-speed bike and worry about getting off balance while making too quick a manoeuver through street traffic.

Somehow, I think you should give this deck a second chance.

Nando.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Upon examination of your precise photos, Miles, I see other considerations well worth noting. You know how you always expound about not needing extra devices such as an equalizer, dynamic range expander, compression limiter to alter the purity of the music as it was originally mastered... well, this is exactly how the engineers designed this deck. Sony's mission statement during the 80's for general utility-grade consumer products was: "Less Is More." That's why there's no need for direct drive transport, dual capstans, extra motors, third playback head, or internal case reinforcement.

You are a bit hung up on what is seemingly a less-than-stellar upper peak for frequency response. It was designed that way. At this time in the mid 80's, Nana Mouskouri was at the peak of her musical career with one of her songs reaching #2 in the UK charts in 1985. Her recording label had banks of TC-FX330s duplicating her music onto cassettes. There was no need to get those extremely high numbers for frequency response. Her voice and band were naturally suited for that particularly narrow range of FR. She was no Kate Bush.

In fact, she was so happy with the results of those mass-produced tapes and her partnership with Sony, that a special Nana Mouskouri Signature Series was produced by Sony in 1987. It's a Sony TC-FX330NM. It is highly sought after, and it's so rare that even a Google search of that model number most likely won't garner any results.

I know slowly, but surely, I will win you over with my arguments in favour of the TC-FX330.

Nando.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Miles: Now this is a different tack. Perhaps, you should have renamed your thread "Sony TC-K Series Wannabe?"

You have to look more closely at some of the higher grade features the TC-K series doesn't have that the FX series does have. For example, the 330 has those quick acting DJ-style sliders for recording level control. You could do some serious panning with the left and right controls to trick the listener of your psychedelic mix tape that's exactly how it came off the album.

Dual mic inputs: those are for serious field recordings. And that's also why it was purposely engineered to be so light. You don't need to be packing an 11-12 kg. TC-K950ES beast in your knapsack across town while pedalling your 20-speed bike and worry about getting off balance while making too quick a manoeuver through street traffic.

Somehow, I think you should give this deck a second chance.

Nando.
Upon examination of your precise photos, Miles, I see other considerations well worth noting. You know how you always expound about not needing extra devices such as an equalizer, dynamic range expander, compression limiter to alter the purity of the music as it was originally mastered... well, this is exactly how the engineers designed this deck. Sony's mission statement during the 80's for general utility-grade consumer products was: "Less Is More." That's why there's no need for direct drive transport, dual capstans, extra motors, third playback head, or internal case reinforcement.

You are a bit hung up on what is seemingly a less-than-stellar upper peak for frequency response. It was designed that way. At this time in the mid 80's, Nana Mouskouri was at the peak of her musical career with one of her songs reaching #2 in the UK charts in 1985. Her recording label had banks of TC-FX330s duplicating her music onto cassettes. There was no need to get those extremely high numbers for frequency response. Her voice and band were naturally suited for that particularly narrow range of FR. She was no Kate Bush.

In fact, she was so happy with the results of those mass-produced tapes and her partnership with Sony, that a special Nana Mouskouri Siganure Series was produced by Sony in 1987. It's a Sony TC-FX330NM. It highly sought after, and it's so rare that even a Google search of that model number most likely won't garner any results.

I know slowly, but surely, I will win you over with my arguments in favour of the TC-FX330.

Nando.
These are some of the best posts of the week or even month. Didn't know Father had such a sense of humour. :rabbit: