Show Off Your Linear-Tracking Turntables

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
So the Pioneer pl l1000 was sold only in Europe and Asia. Since Pioneer had bought Phase Linear it wanted this top of the line turntable sold in North America under this brand and called the Phase Linear 8000. Both the Pioneer Pl l1000 and Phase Linear 8000 upgraded to the “A“ version . It has some sales gimmic but the thing I see is the motor assembly had been down grade to use a cheaper and lighter unit found in the Pioneer pl 8000 and pl 500. as pictured. This supports my feeling 1980 was the top for Pioneer tables.

some also stated their differences as follows
The later PL-L1000A had a carbon fibre arm and was sold in the U.S.A. under the Phase Linear model 8000A.
In actual fact there are some four distinctly differing versions of this turntable. The original Pioneer PL-L1000 which is black, and the nearly-identical Phase Linear 8000 Series 2 which is silver. The next generation was the black Pioneer PL-L1000A and the nearly-identical silver Phase Linear 8000A. There are several differences between the original and next-generation 'A' models. The original 1000/8000 models had a 'jog dial' which you spun around either left or right to cue the tonearm above the record. The later 1000A/8000A models have a rocker-type switch that you press to the left or right to cue the tonearm. The motor and platter assemblies are a bit different between the 2 models also. The original versions had a heavier-looking motor assembly and larger main circuit board, which look smaller and a bit cheaper in the 1000A/8000A models, although they are supposed to perform to the same specs.
Pioneer did not offer the PL-L1000 for sale in the US so most of the PL-L1000's that have shown up in the U.S.A. were brought back by servicemen stationed overseas."

here is a review and note what the summary has to say
to
View attachment 72288
View attachment 72289

View attachment 72277

here is the more robust motor View attachment 72280 View attachment 72281 View attachment 72282

here is the light weight a motor as used in othe models View attachment 72278

View attachment 72279

I contemplated scoring one but that would buy a LOT of WOPL parts. Maybe down the road.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
OK...my English isn't good enough to discern between singular/plural regarding member(s) and/or our/mine number of linear TTs...and Slovenian has dual also - so, plural means three, not two, or more to me...hence, Show off I get...I believe.

View attachment 72290

Edit: Revox B790
You are good! Thank you for your display of beautiful Revox turntables!

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
OK...my English isn't good enough to discern between singular/plural regarding member(s) and/or our/mine number of linear TTs...and Slovenian has dual also - so, plural means three, not two, or more to me...hence, Show off I get...I believe.

View attachment 72290

Edit: Revox B790
Yep, no self-respecting linear-tracking tonearm thread would be complete without the B790 REvox. That's a nice trio!

Last edited: