Show Off Your Linear-Tracking Turntables

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
How did sound get from the diaphragm in the soundhead to the horn? Was there some kind of swiveling throat? Yes, I like the green felt pads.
Hello Laz,
It is a very simply horn set-up. The volume is controlled with a cable attached to a lever on the turntable itself, to a felt "ball" that moves in and out of the horn. That actually works well, it can play quite loud if you want it to, and it is clear sound, not distorted. I am adding a picture of the Lateral Reproducer, I just slipped that into the bayonet mount, Using that, and a steel needle, adjusting the speed from 80 rpm to 78 rpm you can play regular shellac 78's from the period. I used to rebuild a lot of these early players, set the diamonds in the Edison reproducers and rebuild them, and did 100's of the regular reproducers, with the mica or aluminum set-up. it's a trip back in time. and fun to experience. Here are some more pictures:

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hello Laz,
It is a very simply horn set-up. The volume is controlled with a cable attached to a lever on the turntable itself, to a felt "ball" that moves in and out of the horn. That actually works well, it can play quite loud if you want it to, and it is clear sound, not distorted. I am adding a picture of the Lateral Reproducer, I just slipped that into the bayonet mount, Using that, and a steel needle, adjusting the speed from 80 rpm to 78 rpm you can play regular shellac 78's from the period. I used to rebuild a lot of these early players, set the diamonds in the Edison reproducers and rebuild them, and did 100's of the regular reproducers, with the mica or aluminum set-up. it's a trip back in time. and fun to experience. Here are some more pictures:
The original low mass tonearm... :)

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
The original low mass tonearm... :)
It's scary they are so heavy!
At least the stylus is diamond....Those steel needles used on the conventional lateral reproducers of the day still scare me.
I have seen people try and sell Edison Diamond discs that someone, somewhere, tried to play with a steel needle :oops:.
They are torn up the minute that steel needle hits the "Condensite" (Bakelite) and the needle digs through the Bakelite, into the wood flour core.
I have both wood flour core, and clay core recordings. With care they are very durable, especially compared to shellac 78"s that
are as brittle as eggshells.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
It's scary they are so heavy!
At least the stylus is diamond....Those steel needles used on the conventional lateral reproducers of the day still scare me.
I have seen people try and sell Edison Diamond discs that someone, somewhere, tried to play with a steel needle :oops:.
They are torn up the minute that steel needle hits the "Condensite" (Bakelite) and the needle digs through the Bakelite, into the wood flour core.
I have both wood flour core, and clay core recordings. With care they are very durable, especially compared to shellac 78"s that
are as brittle as eggshells.

All this "Flour and Egg" talk is makin me Hangry... I'm makin some cupcakes

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sony PX-3 that I bought new in '83 or so. It had been a great TT until the tonearm stopped tracking. I started working on it several years ago, found some useful material on AK as a starting point but never panned out. One of these days I will tear into it again and get it sorted out. I hope.

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Great contributions by all! Glad I started this thread. I have to wait until at least the weekend to contribute. I have a potential big-buy coming tomorrow. Not one - but two - of the same model premiere cassette decks ever built. The seller is driving the 1.5 hours to my place tomorrow evening to demo the decks for me. I have the cash set aside in case the deal is completed. No kidding the responses to his ad have been overwhelming.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Nice stuff.

Not the best electronics under the hood (following all my experiences I had with all kinds of reVox stuff), but the looks are great!

Congrats!

Edit:

Don't take this as a negative comment, but as you know I've competed with Nakamichi Dragons, Tandbergs, modified Technics decks by A.N.T. , etc... But I won the competition with decks that were much more simple and less expensive.....

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Miles is correct on both counts - the Revox B215 has known issues with failing electrolytic capacitors and CMOS ICs. All have been replaced in mine - in fact it required an overhaul.

Also, Miles placed #1 in a contest, I organized, called The Ultimate Mix Tape Challenge 2016 with six top-notch contestants, all of whom I've traded mix tapes with.

28378e38-332a-47e3-bc26-9cb39e4ea717_zpsxkzbzbc3.jpg

5b3081c3-cdea-4b96-9c39-1beee01e01c6_zpsjwoox0rn.jpg

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Thank you Nando & J!m for your kind comments.

After I posted my comment I felt a bit guilty, it felt like ruining the party so to say....

Since a few years I started to listen with my ears instead of listening to brands, and it brought me wisdom.
But for the typical 'Mancave Aspect' (and that's what we are all here for, aren't we?) I fully understand Nando added this nice piece of equipment to his collection.

I think it is a good deal.

Share the fun & Share the feeling.

Miles.