Show Off Your Linear-Tracking Turntables

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
You're probably all going to laugh at my linear-tracker...you'd also probably laugh at the camera I took the photos with. It's an Olympus C-3020 with 3.2 megapixels, but I can post its photos most anywhere on the www, and detail is just fine. The turntable is a Sony PS-LX520, the T4P cartridge is a Shure M110HE (with a Jico stylus) and the dustcover is one I had lying around. It fit with the help of those little round felt pads...and yes, I know they look ridiculous. The underside of the platter has damping material on it, and it's nicely done. Note the clamp. This is in the shop system, btw.
1670512954307.png

1670512982380.png

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
You're probably all going to laugh at my linear-tracker...you'd also probably laugh at the camera I took the photos with. It's an Olympus C-3020 with 3.2 megapixels, but I can post its photos most anywhere on the www, and detail is just fine. The turntable is a Sony PS-LX520, the T4P cartridge is a Shure M110HE (with a Jico stylus) and the dustcover is one I had lying around. It fit with the help of those little round felt pads...and yes, I know they look ridiculous. The underside of the platter has damping material on it, and it's nicely done. Note the clamp. This is in the shop system, btw.
View attachment 72046

View attachment 72047
Very Nice table and super nice cartridge

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Linear tracking tables. Not gonna be any pictures but I have experience with 2. The Technics SL-5 that showed up here. Don't recall how but probably a CL deal with other stuff. It didn't work and was only one speed. I found some wiring and fixed it, wrong. Had no interest in it and gave it to Thain who changed the wiring I connected so that it did work. Gave it as a wedding gift to a friend and everyone was happy. That one just wasn't built very well.

The other one, an HK ST-7. We all know how fragile they are and needing attention. Well, this was the main table in one college system of collected parts from the folks that lived in one of the off-campus houses. I guess there were 5 that lived there. I was there for a short time but partied there a lot. That machine was amazing. Probably 10 regular users, when a record ended, the next guy up would put on the next record. Having to choose from the 200 albums in the collection. I always jumped up to change the record when Ziggy Stardust was played as it was the only album we listened to both sides, easy. Can still see John sitting there recording all the new albums folks would bring over for a listen. Fortunately, he didn't do that when most just wanted to listen to music.

That table was reliable and did a fine job with multiple users. Of course, this was before it has a lot of years under its arm movement mechanisms. Maybe that system didn't age as well as others.

Last edited:

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Here is my Linear Tracker:
1917 Edison C250.
I have about 600 Diamond Disc recordings for this.
I restored it (cabinet and rebuilt the transport (gear driven) motor and all mechanicals some years ago.
Transport across the recording is based on the speed, regulated by the speed and is engaged with the vertical Edison reproducer.
That mechanism is not used for conventional lateral reproduction at 78 RPM
This plays at 80 RPM, and I have several lateral reproducers that I can play conventional 78's on. There is a speed adjustment
to slow it to 78 RPM for those and the lateral reproducers use the standard wooden or steel "needles" of the day.
The standard Diamond Disc uses the reproducer as shown, with the 1/4" thick Edison Diamond Discs.
I thought of this when I saw Laz's post about the little felt pads............seems Edison beat you to it :).
These C250's came out in 1915, and cost $250 a lot of money in 1915....about $5000 today.
Tracking weight of the diamond stylus is about 2 pounds !!!!! but the records hold up well, anti skating was not an issue ;).
Fun stuff, I have rebuilt these, and many conventional Victrola style machines through the years.

1917 C250.jpg 1917 C250 b.jpg 1917 C250 a.jpg

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Here is my Linear Tracker:
1917 Edison C250.
I have about 600 Diamond Disc recordings for this.
I restored it (cabinet and rebuilt the transport (gear driven) motor and all mechanicals some years ago.
Transport across the recording is based on the speed, regulated by the speed and is engaged with the vertical Edison reproducer.
That mechanism is not used for conventional lateral reproduction at 78 RPM
This plays at 80 RPM, and I have several lateral reproducers that I can play conventional 78's on. There is a speed adjustment
to slow it to 78 RPM for those and the lateral reproducers use the standard wooden or steel "needles" of the day.
The standard Diamond Disc uses the reproducer as shown, with the 1/4" thick Edison Diamond Discs.
I thought of this when I saw Laz's post about the little felt pads............seems Edison beat you to it :).
These C250's came out in 1915, and cost $250 a lot of money in 1915....about $5000 today.
Tracking weight of the diamond stylus is about 2 pounds !!!!! but the records hold up well, anti skating was not an issue ;).
Fun stuff, I have rebuilt these, and many conventional Victrola style machines through the years.

View attachment 72054 View attachment 72055 View attachment 72056
How did sound get from the diaphragm in the soundhead to the horn? Was there some kind of swiveling throat? Yes, I like the green felt pads.