Russ' Phase Linear 400 Ser I---TO BE WOPL'd

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Did not survive the max output stress test. D10 in the left channel went at 305 watts, Q7 in the left and Q7 in the right went shortly thereafter. Replacing those components now....

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Did not survive the max output stress test. D10 in the left channel went at 305 watts, Q7 in the left and Q7 in the right went shortly thereafter. Replacing those components now....
Isn't this a 400? I'm surprised this guy could crank the output that high. Was it clipping when it took a dump? You must've bumped up the rail fuse to get there though. Damn - over 300 watts per channel for something rated at a bit over 200 - another amazing feat.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Amazing s/n and overall noise levels with the 2X WOPL system. I gotta get one of them.

How's that 700 complimentary conversion design coming along? On the cusp of release??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

You were deep, deep into the protection circuitry attempting in vain to protect against Lee if you took out D10 :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
You were deep, deep into the protection circuitry attempting in vain to protect against Lee if you took out D10 :)
That's exactly the scenario Joe. Squealed like a pig before it went too. Actually I think I had it at 350 or so. There's a lag between turning up the input off the AP generator and that F@#%$& with me sometimes. I brought up the sig gen too fast.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ed Blackwood sent me a box of em this summer. They are 1/2" longer than the stock variety so sometimes they interfere.

Mike, it sounds remarkably like a 400, except lower, tighter bass, cleaner mids and better defined highs....

Scott, that was a very pessimistic approximation..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
BTW, anything that takes out D10, will also take out the B- pico fuse on the backplane board...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes it did. The front end was still intact. First time that's happened with a diode open at D10.