Russ' Phase Linear 400 Ser I---TO BE WOPL'd

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
No Ron. On the main board shot, the blue electrolytic caps on their end.
I count 6 in that image but you only refer to 3... it looks like there is no room for them to lay on their sides anyway, the holes for the leads look too close together or am I looking at the wrong blue thingys?

I think I need to lay down for a bit and think about something else...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I know JOE!! Cut the wires at the fuse tabs!! that's a go/no go point!

Folks, the wiring with Joe's new backplane boards is so radically different, it's easior to cut out all the old and start at the primary secondaries because it's getting a new 35 amp BR, new PS caps ( Beins it has the good clamps I've got some drop in replace,ments). Joe If it would have been one of those with the sticky tape I would've got some PS caps from you. RCA input jacks are junk so they go.....Yep Joe, everything....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I count 6 in that image but you only refer to 3... it looks like there is no room for them to lay on their sides anyway, the holes for the leads look too close together or am I looking at the wrong blue thingys?

I think I need to lay down for a bit and think about something else...
Sorry Ron, missed your post. Yep, 3 per channel. The board was made for radial, and they put in axial. Must have been a supply problem.

3 minutes with the miracle cleaner and the dreaded white snot si gone. Even from the inside of the holes....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I clean the chassis with it too. Follow the condensate with some WD-40, then rub it out.

Joe!! You went north with the thermoswitch wiring correct???

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I clean the chassis with it too. Follow the condensate with some WD-40, then rub it out.

Joe!! You went north with the thermoswitch wiring correct???
Are you twitching yet? Some of the best stuff is the nastiest - in both a good and bad way.

I just suffered through a PITA hazmat training session at work - parts of it are informative but most is like way over the top.

sempar

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Sheesh!! Talk about a frame off restoration! An original Edmonds amp! I remember talking to Bob Carver at that site when I went down from B.C to pick up an Owners Manual and wood case for my Series 1 700. Had my brother along who was an El Tech who did most of the talking. Didn't know much about what they talked about, but I was mightily impressed with the "short circuit" test on a 700 sitting on the bench!

John

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sheesh!! Talk about a frame off restoration! An original Edmonds amp! I remember talking to Bob Carver at that site when I went down from B.C to pick up an Owners Manual and wood case for my Series 1 700. Had my brother along who was an El Tech who did most of the talking. Didn't know much about what they talked about, but I was mightily impressed with the "short circuit" test on a 700 sitting on the bench!

John

Thanks for the story John. Always nice to hear those !!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, what do you call that wrapping around the AC, techno-flex?/
Hi Lee
It is #5 Acrylic Sleeving GR C-3 from Electro Insulation Corp., 3921 Ventura Drive, Arlington Heights, IL 60004

It is nice stuff, I use it on some of our automotive products. It looks very nice when installed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes it does, that's why I asked. Adds that extra touch of professionalism.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
2 modifications are necessary on a 4 fin 400 for Joe's boards. The bottom hold down bolt for the P-strap bias tranny. Has to be relocated to directly-2-11/32's below the top one. In this case the hold down for the bridge rectifier gets a 10/32 so it has to be drilled out....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And Joe parted with some of his stash of the fancy harness tube. Thanks Joe.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Drizzle, Drizzle, Drazzle Drone, Time for this one to go Home. Please Mr. Joe, I don't want to be an AMP MAN anymore!!

To those who are not at least 40 years of age, that was a Saturday morning cartoon chorus to the theme song offffffffffff.......

Good night fellers...