Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I think it’s poplar. That can look a lot like cherry if you avoid the sap wood (which has a green hue)I stained some with cherry stain for shelves in the TV room and it’s pretty convincing.

I personally would replace the screws with new slotted head screws rather than “upgrade” them. Just be sure the driver blade is sharp and square so it doesn’t cam out.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
the more that I look at available veneer's, the more I agree with the expert. Red Gum....... OK

View attachment 74720
What ever it is Perry it deserves more than drab gray, you might consider one of the translucent gray finishes that looks like limed wood.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
What ever it is Perry it deserves more than drab gray, you might consider one of the translucent gray finishes that looks like limed wood.
I agree. I think I'll sand one of the front doors and hit the back side with the satin clear to see what it looks like. I didn't see any Translucent gray but I did see semi transparent gray.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I agree. I think I'll sand one of the front doors and hit the back side with the satin clear to see what it looks like. I didn't see any Translucent gray but I did see semi transparent gray.
I have used the Minwax light gray stain plus clear to achieve that limed look...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Put denatured alcohol on the wood to see what it looks like under clear.

And slotted screwsAren’t junk;
Most drivers are junk.

I annoy my Snap-on dealer with my constant blade changes, but I don’t mangle screws.

Day two of watchmaking is taking care of the blade tips (those are all slotted screws). I just keep new blades on hand but I don’t have time to keep them pristine.

They still use slotted bronze screws in wooden boat construction.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I sanded a front door for the cabinet and gave it a shot of satin clear, it's got some nice figure to it. This is the inside side of the door you would see when you open it. It doesn't really match the pattern/grain of the rest of the cab but it still looks nice. Since the cab was designed to be painted, they probably didn't care if the species matched. I haven't looked at the outside of the door to see if it matches yet. The weather got too cold for me to be out sanding.

door1.jpg door2.jpg