Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
The Rek I got in 2010 (parts deck) had the GI death cube shaded pole motor, which is a POS that causes unkillable rumble. My current Rek came with the round ROK motor that is pretty decent but hard to get the old grease out and it runs hot. I got my hands on a Papst aussenlaufer and that’s been the best one so far.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Rek I got in 2010 (parts deck) had the GI death cube shaded pole motor, which is a POS that causes unkillable rumble. My current Rek came with the round ROK motor that is pretty decent but hard to get the old grease out and it runs hot. I got my hands on a Papst aussenlaufer and that’s been the best one so far.
Is the one pictured the ROK motor? What does the Papst motor look like?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I decided to install the motor mounts since they said it was about 30 minute job, BULLSHIT!!!!!!! The ancient adhesive put up a serious fight. I had to cut the old mounts out of the holder and install the new rubbers into the holders. That wasn't too bad but cleaning up the mounts of the old adhesive was a mofo. I used a wire brush in the drill to get it off.

mt6 (2672 x 2004).jpg mt5 (2672 x 2004).jpg mt4 (2672 x 2004).jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I decided to install the motor mounts since they said it was about 30 minute job, BULLSHIT!!!!!!! The ancient adhesive put up a serious fight. I had to cut the old mounts out of the holder and install the new rubbers into the holders. That wasn't too bad but cleaning up the mounts of the old adhesive was a mofo. I used a wire brush in the drill to get it off.

View attachment 74063 View attachment 74064 View attachment 74065
Thats because they were insert molded originally.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I often wonder during the time I'm working on it as to how it lived it's life and how it was treated. Did it live in a radio station, a studio, or did the old guy have a hook up and bought it from a dealer..... We may never know although as nice as it cleaned up and only having a chip or two in the paint, I doubt it was in a radio station with DJ's jacking with it all day.
I can vouch for radio station gear being pounded mercilessly. Anything I bought from one would have to be priced low enough to include the cost of a full restoration. Consequently, that's not a source for my gear.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So many (overpriced) and abused Studer CD players from stations out there… I want one but the “junk” price is about my “mint” threshold.

I keep hoping I’d be able to find one from one of the stations around here but it’s not happening.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Yeah, I think it's a bit high but if you look at trying to get a Gray Research 108, which is highly sought after, they are over a grand and WAYYYYY out of my range.
I’d just get one of Karmadon’s Gray clones if I wanted to go that route. Wayyy under $1k and brand new. I had an Argonne Gray clone and I like the Pickering arm better.