Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Heading down to reassemble the TT after replacing the motor mounts, gonna lay out the arm as my wiring is out for delivery. I'll install the Pickering XSV-5000 with new stylus I got from Glen, then it get's covered and set aside till the idlers return. The guy who painted the kids new cabinets at the lake house has a shop where he does HIS painting may be painting my Rek-O-Kut C-7B cabinet when I get the sanding done. It's supposed to be warm out this weekend (30's) so I may try to pull it out of storage and take stock of what's needed to get it ready. Sprayed on Satin Black is my top choice.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The Cardas tonearm wiring is nice, they did an awesome job with it. I do like the Cardas quality. I use it when I can (afford it). Outside of the idlers, the TT is complete. I'll have a few adjustments to do when they go in but that will be a couple weeks. Now for the C-7B Cabinet. Picture will follow.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sniff, what's the original finish on the cabinet and what kind of wood?
Not sure of the wood yet but it's finished in Industrial Gray just like the table. I'll know more this weekend. I contemplated a nice veneer job but it's way to much work.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Is the finish salvageable like the plinth was? Keeping it original is always the best bet when practical. Especially a rare cabinet like that.

I’d try cleaning it and see how bad it is.

Naw, it could pass but she's gettin painted. The rarity in itself covers for a paint job. It is scratched to hell all around the top. This is the only one I have seen after cruising from here to the ends of the earth.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
My how time fly's. I just got an email that my idler wheels are on their way back to me. Can't wait to see them. I guess he had the specs on the wheels for the B-16H so they should be good to go. I better get the Crown amp outta the way so I can get the ROK back together.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The weather sucked so I blew the driveway again and decided to hike out to my shed and dig the ROK Cabinet out. I pulled it through the snow on a moving blanket and into the garage. I took some pics for reference when it's time to put it back together. She was showing her age for sure. 70 years will do that to ya. Anyway, here are a couple pics.

Cab1 (2672 x 2004).jpg Cab2 (2672 x 2004).jpg cab4 (2672 x 2004).jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The weather sucked so I blew the driveway again and decided to hike out to my shed and dig the ROK Cabinet out. I pulled it through the snow on a moving blanket and into the garage. I took some pics for reference when it's time to put it back together. She was showing her age for sure. 70 years will do that to ya. Anyway, here are a couple pics.

View attachment 74695 View attachment 74696 View attachment 74697
Pretty sweet Perry. Rek did a great job with their cabinets and bases. That was back in the days before flakeboard and vinyl coverings...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Joe, think it will look good in green? Naw, I decided on satin charcoal gray. Gotta sand some of that industrial gray off and get some repairs done (gluing and screwing. I got rid of the slotted screws and am going to use some phillips head screws. The expanded metal back is getting replaced with some 80/20 screen.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I am going to do a satin clear on it and if the next owner want's to paint it Industrial Gray, it is doable. I am using a light gray for the inside so it's not so dark when you open it and try to find an album. I may add a small light with on/off inside. Or maybe a battery operated light for quiet operation. Anybody identify the wood species? Part of it looks just like the cherry veneer I have so thats my guess.