Preamp Kits- Crap or possible gems?

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Here is my take on preamps. The one you have is probably good enough if you listen to cd's, digital sourced music.
But if you listen to Vinyl, you might need to up the quality of the phone section(if it has one) to an outboard Phono Preamp.
I have around 10 preamps in my collection at the present and they all sound pretty much the same if the source is from my CD player
thru one of the line inputs(aux).
The only one that really stands out as sounding better to my old ears is my 1959 tube Bogen with Cd player as the music source.
It takes the digital edge off the music. Sounds nice.
But when it comes to playing Vinyl then its a whole new deal. Most of my older preamps just don't have good phono sections.
But if i hook them up to my outboard Phono Preamp, they all sound pretty much the same.
The Phono Preamp is where you get the gain for your given cartridge.

Here is just a few to consider
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/accession-mm-phono-preamp.html
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/how-to-play-vinyl-records.html

http://www.hafler.com/phono-products.php

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Perry, I agree with Ron. The C-1 is a pretty decent pre. But then I don't have anything to compare it to. The only other pre I ever had was a P/L 3000 and I liked that one a lot. The Carver has that sonic holography bs, but you don't have to use it.

Over at DIYAudio is the designer of the Akitika pre, you could ask him questions. He is djoffe.

Here's a link:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/262764-akitika-pr101-preamp-dan-joffe.html

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Perry, I don't know too many people that ACTUALLY own a C-1 that don't like it. I will have to investigate this further because usually the people deriding anything made by Bob Carver just don't like Bob Carver. IDK, maybe due for a recapping???

Most Carver stuff is damn good equipment. The phonostage is is a little limited but are you using a MC cart and need special loading? ANY cart (including MC's) I have hooked up to the Carver has sounded good. The sonic holography feature is useful with some recordings also. I like that you can bypass the tone controls. If you want to borrow mine for awhile, we can get it done. In any event, you can immediately hook up multiple amps and CRANK :toothy5: (While you have it you can do the BillD mod on it if you want for "educational" purposes hehehe)

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Ron, I was perusing to see what others had to say about the C1. Not all liked it, in fact most didn't. I like being able to control 2 amps (or 4 when I get a power plant) so that's good, some didn't like the Phono section which is a must for me since I built a new Kenner Close N Play. I like my Mitsubishi C20 due to the fact it's a tuner/Pre (but know I can do better) and I like not having a bunch of other equipment piled around. Like my buddy gave me a nice Pioneer EQ and I just laughed. You shouldn't really need one but to each his own. He knows I hate them and I dog him out because he has his sliders adjusted like a big M, not because it sounds good but because it looks cool. But, he listens to death metal and it sounds like shit anyway. I'll keep up the search and sooner or later I'll find a good one and it may be black to match Roxanne AND maybe I could skip the tuner since down here south of Stuwee, we have 3 radio stations that come in barely. Plus, the metal plate in my head screws reception... Ah... I'm rambling again... Pack that amp mister......
Don't they still have that AM station in Show Low? Are you so boxed in that you can't find an old ham tower and a rotor and get Six degrees of Stuff from nowhere?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Some guy on the bay just posted a RL-11 but he's a dick and won't put up any pics and it only has 1 picture for $600. When I asked for some more, he said to "go away"

WTF????

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
HUH?, dude, yer out their..... can I suggest rehab?
No, get that antenna up there 30-50 feet and on a rotor and you might be surprised.

And that AM might still be KTNN, at least you might have a trucking country show at night (like the Midnight Cowboy show).

A common TV antenna would suffice.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just right on price. Someone who needs a pre-amp needs to snatch that one up. A few caps and an op-amp swap and she'd be a goodun....

Tagline
---
I am really enjoying my C-1 and wish I could purchase a kit for the Billd mod . Does this count for a preamp kit? Anyone?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Joe has turned us on to the Acurus, and re-engineered all the great Phase Linear amps. He also gave us his opinion on the best tuner. So, Joe what is THE phono section? I'd love to hear your thoughts on MM and MC? Heck, for that matter, I'd love to see a "Joe's recommended components" with maybe A, B, and C recommendations. With your vast knowledge and expertise I'd love to know..As I remember you are using Acurus, Phase Linear, Crown, and Klipsch components? Oh yeah...Yamaha tuner?

Do you think a SUT is the way to go with MC...or do you prefer MM? Ever heard Acutex cartridges?