Preamp Kits- Crap or possible gems?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I was thinking about building a Preamp kit for use with the wopl and was wondering if anybody else has gone that route? This one seems like it has some good features but can I find a better preamp in the $450 range (not 40 year old stuff neither). With features like being able to control 2 amps, don't really care about a remote, phono pre is a must, having everything in one kit makes things easier... probably take one of you smart guys to look at the specs to see if it's worth a Damn but I read good things about it. It also had a good write up, review in some mag..... I know some like a tube pre but in my limited experience, tubes are highly overrated. I spent a lot of money only to return to SS. A buddy of mine bought a Conrad Johnson PV 8 tube pre, he praises it but a grand is out of the questions for me AND and old preamp.

http://www.akitika.com/PR101.html

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You would think residual noise would be a spec that they would publish. They also didn't express distortion as a percentage , the only distortion spec not listed as such, in my limited exposure to such. If I was building a pretty amp one of the first measurements I would want up to snuff are signal to noise and noise floor and I see neither there. Perhaps they will respond to some inquiries???

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I end up adding tape control boxes (switchers) to integrateds and receivers and I have a cheap Numark DJ mixer too. I have one dbx 400x and most of my stereos have two tape loops. My Akai computerized EQ has at least two loops and other input as well.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I built a "Tubes For Hi Fi SP 12 " for the Larrt one time. The power supply required a Joe fix. And the Larrt was embarrassed to say how much money he had in it...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I end up adding tape control boxes (switchers) to integrateds and receivers and I have a cheap Numark DJ mixer too. I have one dbx 400x and most of my stereos have two tape loops. My Akai computerized EQ has at least two loops and other input as well.
And this has what to do with a preamp kit??¿¿¿

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Those Acurus preamps show up on eBay fairly regularly. An RL-11 sold Monday for $400 with it's original box and books. Remote too!!
They may be close to 20 years old but they're fantastic preamps you can generally get your money out of if needed. There's also a couple of quality guys out there that can do mild upgrades on these Acurus units to turn them into real giant killers.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Is that what that meant? I got an eye out for one of the RL or LS 11's.. If you guys say they are the cat's meow, I'll give them a whirl. If you guys see one, let me know. THANKS all..

P

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Lee, is it just me or does that Akitika PR-101 look an awful like the GAS Theobe? Not just the front panel but some of the internals too?

Perry, you should PM gamve...Graham in Australia, he knows of some bad ass preamp kits and phono pre's as well...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have had my eye out for an Acurus also but since I hooked up the Perreaux SA3 again, I have not done much looking :toothy5:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Perry, it might be a good idea to look at a Carver C-1 or C-11. Both control multiple amps and honestly, sound damn good with a WOPL. It's all Carver right?

I have a Carver C-1 as a backup and man, it sounds pretty damn good. I prefer the Perreaux only because I have never heard a better phono stage in a preamp but the Carver is so close

Also, you can control multiple amps with a preamp that has only one output source, you just have to get the Y splitters

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ron, I was perusing to see what others had to say about the C1. Not all liked it, in fact most didn't. I like being able to control 2 amps (or 4 when I get a power plant) so that's good, some didn't like the Phono section which is a must for me since I built a new Kenner Close N Play. I like my Mitsubishi C20 due to the fact it's a tuner/Pre (but know I can do better) and I like not having a bunch of other equipment piled around. Like my buddy gave me a nice Pioneer EQ and I just laughed. You shouldn't really need one but to each his own. He knows I hate them and I dog him out because he has his sliders adjusted like a big M, not because it sounds good but because it looks cool. But, he listens to death metal and it sounds like shit anyway. I'll keep up the search and sooner or later I'll find a good one and it may be black to match Roxanne AND maybe I could skip the tuner since down here south of Stuwee, we have 3 radio stations that come in barely. Plus, the metal plate in my head screws reception... Ah... I'm rambling again... Pack that amp mister......