Preamp Kits- Crap or possible gems?

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Hey buddies, I'm gonna ask nice that no one BIN, I'd really like to have this one, I can't do anything for a few hours...transferring funds...I want this pre!!!! :happy2:

Thanks!!
Craig, remember - no phono pre on these. 8 watchers as of now.

Good luck!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
What? No Thoebe?
I have a PM out to Lee, and a message to the Acurus seller, I've heard too many great things about this pre-amp to ignore, I can buy a phono pre that suits my lovely Thorens/SME/Shure combo, the thing that scares me is the $500BIN + $35 ship, I can buy a lot of pre for that kinda moohlah! With out cables to and from the phono pre....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Lee, does anybody have directions and parts for upgrading an RL-11? I bought one last night and it is very nice. A little pricey at $440 but not too bad. Has the remote too. I'd like to try the upgrade myself but if I have to I can send it off.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Looks like Perry bought the PL-11 I wanted, nice grab buddy! I'll wait for the next one.

Tony, you're right buddy, Y O L O! I'm so happy with what the Summit's do with sound, I can wait! :la:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I hope that ain't the same one as Craig. I put in an offer last night and he accepted. There are or were 2 guys selling but the other guy told me to buzz off after asking for more pics

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Looks like Perry bought the PL-11 I wanted, nice grab buddy! I'll wait for the next one.

Tony, you're right buddy, Y O L O! I'm so happy with what the Summit's do with sound, I can wait! :la:
Dammit, sorry Craig. I would have gotten the other one.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Actually, I was kinda hoping he would reject my bid last night, I had found a nice Carver C1 for $300 I almost bought. Like you, the more I thought about not having a phono section the more I thought about the Carver or Conrad Johnson unit. If I can't get this one set up how I like it, it will go bye-bye quick.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Joe has turned us on to the Acurus, and re-engineered all the great Phase Linear amps. He also gave us his opinion on the best tuner. So, Joe what is THE phono section? I'd love to hear your thoughts on MM and MC? Heck, for that matter, I'd love to see a "Joe's recommended components" with maybe A, B, and C recommendations. With your vast knowledge and expertise I'd love to know..As I remember you are using Acurus, Phase Linear, Crown, and Klipsch components? Oh yeah...Yamaha tuner?

Do you think a SUT is the way to go with MC...or do you prefer MM? Ever heard Acutex cartridges?
Where did Joe post this?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
great price too. I had to resort to using Walmart Money Center but most sellers will do it. (for craigslist)

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, saw that. I had hoped I could find a "Kit" so I could do my own Pre but I'm not opposed to sending it out for the treatment.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Also I need to find the black knobs from an L10.... I prefer the black over the silver knobs. Do they still make parts for these?

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
You might also check with Kevin Chambers for Acurus upgrades. Contact mondialfan on Audio Karma. He seems to the THE Mondial guru on AK.
Kevin works on Mondial/Acurus/Aragon gear almost exclusively. He's been really backed up lately so not sure if he's accepting gear for upgrades.