PL400 Build help

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
After installing, Post a pic of the back (update before turning power on again) and read PL14_20 Bring Up Recommendations.pdf

Last edited:

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
so a couple read 3ohms, a couple read open, and the rest read around 3M
the 3 Ohm is Bad and put that in a separate pile.
did you mark the bad one ? does it have a black mark on it? is the meter set to the sound setting? going to Bed,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Have you seen this? I hope this works, Always take it apart in the off position You will not have a Stop?

Last edited:

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
BrickbyBrick
I would stop now and Wait for the expert Joe.

Joe do you think he should flip the RT back plain board and inspect the back of the board?
it appears it the RT Board and RT Q3 had a bent pin and shorted to ground
the bad news is he was sparks in the RT board, Lower left corner.
he found 1-bad one and w this test you can only test for bad ones. (does not mean the other ones are good)
thanks
Steve

BrickbyBrick

New Around These Parts
the 3 Ohm is Bad and put that in a separate pile.
did you mark the bad one ? does it have a black mark on it? is the meter set to the sound setting? going to Bed,,,,,,,,,
No black marks on any of the transistors. I didn’t measure them as I took them out so not sure which position they were in.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
At this point, you need to know what transistors are good and which are not good.

Find a friend with a meter capable of doing accurate diode checks and test all the transistors. Sort good from bad After that you will be able to proceed with back wall transistor addition.

You can check out the control board to ensure that no damage was done to that in the mean time. You do not need any transistors in the back wall to perform those tests.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Recommend you also stop and build a DBT before proceeding further. With the DBT in series, you cannot wound the output transistors as you can when you blow rail fuses.

All the builders invest in them to ensure successful bring ups. There are many pictures on the web when you search for DBT on what they are and how to quickly build one.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
At this point, you need to know what transistors are good and which are not good.

Find a friend with a meter capable of doing accurate diode checks and test all the transistors. Sort good from bad After that you will be able to proceed with back wall transistor addition.

You can check out the control board to ensure that no damage was done to that in the mean time. You do not need any transistors in the back wall to perform those tests.
if you are having trouble testing...order the entire right channel outputs...and reinstall as per docs ..you may have damaged others...they are not expensive...

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
i sure hope that is 350mv...
i dont know where you are at this point...maybe waiting on a set of outputs ....
i would like to relay a recent problem i had to deal with....i was installing a meter sensitivity switch in my wopl 400....when i did not notice i had about an inch of unused solder laying on the back of the faceplate....i did not notice it when i put the face plate back....i carried it into the den...by the rack handles....that solder fell on the left back plane ....
it blew 4 outputs on the left side....4 emitter resistors...and 2 one ohm resistors r1 and r3 i think....and of course the rail fuse...
after replacement i could not set left bias...with joes help i located the problem on the control board....q7 and q8 were not up to par....
according to joe...they are a safety thing...and the amp is working without them....the replacements should be here this week....
the point being...you may have other problems....be careful....be thorough...use the dbt...and be careful torquing the outputs....one snug too much and you will blow fuses again without a dbt...last one i put in...i had to back up a bit...no damage done....thanks to the dbt...and it is back to playing and sounds spectacular...
good luck...

mlucitt

about an inch of unused solder laying on the back of the faceplate
I did not see that step in Joe's Backplane Install instructions. I assume longer is better, perhaps a two inch piece of solder would bring faster and more dramatic results...

Good catch Gene. We all learn from each other here.