PL 700 Pro Build

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold

Was used in the early days of SMT applications because of the quest for the best pad to pad coplanarity but that has yielded mostly to OSP copper boards now as the most reliable solution for SMT.

There were a lot of delam problems with the ENIG boards.

ENIG looks sexy but it did not perform well.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
When populating the board, for professional results, all like non polarized components should be oriented in the same direction. Resistors get mounted with the first digit band to the left or the top. Some do it otherwise, but be consistent. There are on line calculators that will help determine the first band.
I solder all the bottoms first with a clean, wetted iron. Then flip the board and touch up the top side. Leads are then cut with flush cutters.
Use good technique and don't overheat the components.

Attachments

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Making slow progress between dog walks and helping son fix his car.
I had the Phoenix connecters from another project, too late in the day to cut them to size, will have to wait til next weekend.
The 700 backplanes each take 2 jumper bus wires, something I don't remember the 400s having. Guess it's because of where the thermo breakers are mounted, right in the middle of the boards. The 400s use one, not two, and it's mounted between the two boards.
Hate to leave that flux on the boards for a week, but it'll have to wait.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Making slow progress between dog walks and helping son fix his car.
I had the Phoenix connecters from another project, too late in the day to cut them to size, will have to wait til next weekend.
The 700 backplanes each take 2 jumper bus wires, something I don't remember the 400s having. Guess it's because of where the thermo breakers are mounted, right in the middle of the boards. The 400s use one, not two, and it's mounted between the two boards.
Hate to leave that flux on the boards for a week, but it'll have to wait.

There's a reason there are 2 jumpers on the 700 BP boards...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There was some discussion about how hard some of us push these amps...Joe decided to go with two jumpers!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Looking at it now. The bus wire reinforces that massive plane that's interrupted by the thermo switch cutout. I dropped the wire into the backside for illustration. Cool!

Correct . I never skimp on design. The fact that PL plunked those cutouts there was damn inconvenient. The bus wire has more circular mils than the trace would have if that hole wasn't there, and the output trace is on all 4 layers of the board.