PL 700 Pro Build

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ohhh no got that one wrong eh?. Not the first time I got that one wrong. Lost a bet at the bar over that one too.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Got the 2 digital Cylon meters built
Next step is examining all 5 boards under magnification for solder balls, splatters, whiskers, and proper polarity of all components. Should have no issues, but it's a critical step.
Might get to mocking up the boards in the chassis next weekend. Wiring also needs to be cut to length and tinned. I bought Joe's wiring kit which is a must have. Joe has a wire cutting length guide which is spot on. Additional wire is advantageous to have. It'll all be Teflon insulated silver plated copper.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Got the 2 digital Cylon meters built
Next step is examining all 5 boards under magnification for solder balls, splatters, whiskers, and proper polarity of all components. Should have no issues, but it's a critical step.
Might get to mocking up the boards in the chassis next weekend. Wiring also needs to be cut to length and tinned. I bought Joe's wiring kit which is a must have. Joe has a wire cutting length guide which is spot on. Additional wire is advantageous to have. It'll all be Teflon insulated silver plated copper.
You may need to lay down the bridge rectifiers George.

1638234539584.png

George S.

Thought I'd post this photo. There was no round builders sticker on the chassis backwall as normal. Only round sticker is on the intermediate plate, says "Sub.F." and cursive initials I can't decipher. The rectangular tag was under a Zobel Network power resistor, hence the heatsink compound. Says Unit #5 of 50.
Far as I can tell, Audio Analysts was a company in Colorado Springs.

Attachments

George S.

I thought the 400 transformers were large. The 700s a monster. Easy to lose skin off a finger tip under it. Three feet bolted on the lower cover and the fourth under the transformer cover. Sanded the old foot down to make the needed spacer. Also added a couple fender washers on both sides of the cast aluminum cover.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thought I'd post this photo. There was no round builders sticker on the chassis backwall as normal. Only round sticker is on the intermediate plate, says "Sub.F." and cursive initials I can't decipher. The rectangular tag was under a Zobel Network power resistor, hence the heatsink compound. Says Unit #5 of 50.
Far as I can tell, Audio Analysts was a company in Colorado Springs.
Really should not use Keps Nuts on PCBAs George. I know PL did but they did a lot of things that you shouldn't. For PCBAs, I always go with nylon washers interfacing to the board itself.

KEPs nuts sometimes score through the solder mask and if there is trace in the area, will begin the corrosion cycle for the underlying trace.

George S.

Really should not use Keps Nuts on PCBAs George. I know PL did but they did a lot of things that you shouldn't. For PCBAs, I always go with nylon washers interfacing to the board itself.

KEPs nuts sometimes score through the solder mask and if there is trace in the area, will begin the corrosion cycle for the underlying trace.
Will do, will switch them out. Thanks!