Phase Linear Model 300 Series Two overheating on one side at low volumes

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
I'll try to ferret them out!

While I wait for parts... I am struggling with the binding posts. The holes are too narrow for 12 gauge wire and they don't seem to work w/ standard banana plugs or have room for most spade plugs. What's a good spade connector for this old style binding post?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've got K's and I run 10 ga.
JT, post a pic. It's been years since I worked on a 300. Rattle my memory here..

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
I'll try to ferret them out!

While I wait for parts... I am struggling with the binding posts. The holes are too narrow for 12 gauge wire and they don't seem to work w/ standard banana plugs or have room for most spade plugs. What's a good spade connector for this old style binding post?
Are the binding posts different on a 300 compared to the others?
I use banana plugs on all my PL amps (400,700&D500) and I use 10 gauge wire.
12 gauge I consider the minimum and only for short runs.

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
I will try these pins!

Project update: transistors arrived today. It was not easy to get in there, but I got the transistor replaced on the first try and now the amp is working perfectly!

I biased both sides and all is well.

I am waiting for new filter capacitors from DigiKey. Recommend checking bias again after replacing filter caps?

Another Phoenix rises!!!

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
Always check bias when ya got er opened up...
Good advice. I will check bias in both units when filter caps get here.

On an unrelated note, I spent the afternoon replacing filter caps and installing Don's fantastic speaker protection relay in the Phase Linear 400 I have had sitting for 6 months. Very happy with how it all turned out except I can barely turn it up enough to make the VU meters dance before I get into noise complaint territory!

Can anybody recommend touch-up enamel for the VU meter surrounds?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker

On an unrelated note, I spent the afternoon replacing filter caps and installing Don's fantastic speaker protection relay in the Phase Linear 400 I have had sitting for 6 months. Very happy with how it all turned out except I can barely turn it up enough to make the VU meters dance before I get into noise complaint territory!

I and others just use a black sharpie magic marker, others bead blast them clean and spray paint.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I and others just use a black sharpie magic marker, others bead blast them clean and spray paint.
Or take paint stripper to them to get them down to base metal and then spray paint with color of your choice.

Perry likes lime green...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Jani, ( my wife) uses a textured black...kinda cool stuff, just rattle can black man..