Phase Linear Model 300 Series Two overheating on one side at low volumes

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
My bezels were chipped and just a repaint would not make them disappear. I did what has already been mentioned, blasting off the old paint down to bare metal. A coat of rattle can primer then rattle can semi-gloss black and I think they look lke new.

There was a business not too far from me that was a U-Blast shop. The fee was basically $1 per minute with a 15 minute minimum.

So $15 took off the old paint and around $9 per can of the primer and gloss black. $33 to make the bezels look ticky-poo.

I justified that by estimating the cost of paying someone to blast the paint off for me or what a pair of bezels would cost that would likely also need a refresh.

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
See photo: in the end it turns out that some banana plugs are just working with a little extra...

I ordered some of the BFA-style connectors mentioned earlier in this thread and will report back...

Some other growing pains w/ the PL400. I had some crackling/popping from the right channel which turned out to be oxidation on the RCA jack. Easily fixed by a few plug/unplug cycles.

Attachments

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Those look nice! How long are they? Mine measure about 18mm. The banana plugs I always use bottom out too early (photo attached)...
Sorry for late response, the ones I have are also 18mm. It doesn’t bother me that they bottom out early, the shaft is strong enough to support the weight of 10 gauge wire easily and because their straight barrels they have full contact all the way around. I dislike the kind with the spring loaded centers, they seem to only make contact in the middle which can make for a sloppy fit.
Okay, it’s right over the plate, swing away Lee. Here batter, batter, lol.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Sorry for late response, the ones I have are also 18mm. It doesn’t bother me that they bottom out early, the shaft is strong enough to support the weight of 10 gauge wire easily and because their straight barrels they have full contact all the way around. I dislike the kind with the spring loaded centers, they seem to only make contact in the middle which can make for a sloppy fit.
Okay, it’s right over the plate, swing away Lee. Here batter, batter, lol.
Spence, I dont like the spring types either. Mine have a rotating sleeve that expands the pin, locking it in the post barrel..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The pin is split so there are 4 separate contacts. There is a tapered pin inside the split pin. Turning the outside sleeve pulls the 4 separate pins up the tapered pin locking it in the barrel. Looks like a lot of contact area according to the wear pattern.
You'd never make it in the big leagues...that one was right down the pipe!! LOL!

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
Stupid question after doing some searching. How are these rack mounted? They seem to fit exactly by width, but the screw holes are off for a standard pro audio rack.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Stupid question after doing some searching. How are these rack mounted? They seem to fit exactly by width, but the screw holes are off for a standard pro audio rack.
If you go to "media", on page 11, Phase Linear Phanatic has some nice photos of rack shelves filled with 700-Bs. Somewhere in some thread he posted the mfg and model, you'd have to search.

jtatknox

New Around These Parts
Epic big iron!!!

Odd because my PL400 seems to be the exact right dimension for a 4U rack space, including mounting. I'm going to figure out how to make this cute with the PL300 series 2.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I''ve seen so many 400's that came out of rock-n-roll racks with butchered faceplates. The weekend warrior typically used a hacksaw or 3/8" drilll bit. The 200II front panel is 5 1/2" tall which makes it difficult to shoehorn into a 3 space (5-1/4") space. The photo shows the offset ona 400.

Attachments