phase linear 400

ABebar

Journeyman
Are your speakers capable of reproducing those frequencies? Most sealed cabinets roll off fast around 60hz. That WOPL should be able melt most home audio speakers without breaking a sweat!
The speakers have a rated/published Frequency Response of 20Hz to 26kHz. I don't have any scientific way of evaluating what I'm hearing, besides having the 70wpc Yammmy in place and listening for the past year plus with the same setup, then only swapping out the amp and noticing a distinct decline in low end response. In addition to the amp swap, I also installed banana plugs on the speaker wires. The Yamaha has spring loaded speaker terminal connectors that don't accommodate the bananas.

ABebar

Journeyman
I experience awesome bass with rather small speakers Adam. Is your preamp output coupling cap getting in your way?
Joe - can you elaborate here? Anything that I can check/verify to indicate whether it is a preamp coupling issue? I have literally a stack of pre's right here that are not currently hooked up to anything. Beyond clearing up the potential VU meter short, do you have any other suggestions for me?

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
The speakers have a rated/published Frequency Response of 20Hz to 26kHz. I don't have any scientific way of evaluating what I'm hearing, besides having the 70wpc Yammmy in place and listening for the past year plus with the same setup, then only swapping out the amp and noticing a distinct decline in low end response. In addition to the amp swap, I also installed banana plugs on the speaker wires. The Yamaha has spring loaded speaker terminal connectors that don't accommodate the bananas.
without professional equipment....download audio tool....and dayton audio has a cheap calibrated mike....set the mike at 1 meter from a speaker...
gives you a starting point....
this is what i charted a few minutes ago....beth and joe...nutbush city limits in my den....ceramic floors, cement walls, big glass windows and cathedral ceiling....this was using the phase linear 200....pushing about 60%...from a cheap dac...

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Other than running a frequency sweep on the output of your pre's with an analyzer it's pretty much guess work. A good signal generator and analyzer will tell you..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
without professional equipment....download audio tool....and dayton audio has a cheap calibrated mike....set the mike at 1 meter from a speaker...
gives you a starting point....
this is what i charted a few minutes ago....beth and joe...nutbush city limits in my den....ceramic floors, cement walls, big glass windows and cathedral ceiling....this was using the phase linear 200....pushing about 60%...from a cheap dac...
Good test tune Gene. Now you need to hear some Shpongle..

gene french

Tagline
Other than running a frequency sweep on the output of your pre's with an analyzer it's pretty much guess work. A good signal generator and analyzer will tell you..
it is not professional equipment....but, for us po boys....audio tool has that built in...along with calibration capabilities for your mike...
the dayton gives you a code number to get the calibration file from the web....just input it into audio tool....
again...this is po boy professional equipment....i had to save up lunch money for a month...
for me...the real test is your ears in your own listening room...i just use the other to check my ears...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe - can you elaborate here? Anything that I can check/verify to indicate whether it is a preamp coupling issue? I have literally a stack of pre's right here that are not currently hooked up to anything. Beyond clearing up the potential VU meter short, do you have any other suggestions for me?

Yes Adam
Many preamps do not have a large enough coupling cap at the last preamp stage before the output RCA jack. These will have improved performance if you increase the value of those caps. George recently had a thread on his 2000 where he followed that recommendation and achieved better low frequency performance. Size matters...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
it is not professional equipment....but, for us po boys....audio tool has that built in...along with calibration capabilities for your mike...
the dayton gives you a code number to get the calibration file from the web....just input it into audio tool....
again...this is po boy professional equipment....i had to save up lunch money for a month...
for me...the real test is your ears in your own listening room...i just use the other to check my ears...

Are You Shpongled track 6 is one of my standard test tunes along with Moby- Play track 4 and Crystal Method- Vegas track 4.
MP3's leave a lot to be desired in the low end department.

gene french

Tagline
Check Spotify or Google Gene, they have res files..
spotify sports 128 bits stock....as does youtube....
spotify ups the specs to 320 bits while youtube peaks at 256....
technically spotify is higher res...but, i doubt i could tell the difference...
those are the two formats i listen to daily....almost exclusively...
i cant afford to be as "audophilic" as i want to be....lol
i guess i am shponged now...
but, track 6 did take out a window....i guess my speakers are ok...
lol

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
spotify sports 128 bits stock....as does youtube....
spotify ups the specs to 320 bits while youtube peaks at 256....
technically spotify is higher res...but, i doubt i could tell the difference...
those are the two formats i listen to daily....almost exclusively...
i cant afford to be as "audophilic" as i want to be....lol
i guess i am shponged now...
but, track 6 did take out a window....i guess my speakers are ok...
lol
I Haven’t broke a window but my clock fell off the wall and broke, my oven drawer vibrates open if I get foolish with the loud knob too...

George S.

Another option for measuring frequency response is REW, Room Equalizer Wizard and a microphone.
One thing about the WOPLs is, what you feed them is what you get out. Any deficiencies in other parts of the system will be readily apparent. What you never noticed before will now be readily apparent. Hence my quest for a vastly improved PL2000 preamp.
Play some organ or cello music for test purposes. My WOPLs cleanly and accurately produce what I feed them. A 400 WOPL is overkill on a stereo subwoofer system with a MiniDSP 2x4 active crossover, and 15" Dayton Audio Ultimax subs in standard cabinets. Just punishing sound pressures playing subwoofer test tones, and the amp hardly gets warm.
If you have a bass issue it's most probably what Joe says, the output caps in the pre. I'm a believer.

stetter

Journeyman
one of you please try this link....i have a weather station that reports to wunderground.com
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IGUANTAC1
my station also reports to ambientweather.net...
https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/1193e3c24c3d1c0693b4a73121ca66db
this has a weather cam...
let me know if you can find it...

enjoy....
nice, I have an Ambient weather station but my internet is very poor and not online continually., so no station reporting for me. nice yard

gene french

Tagline
nice, I have an Ambient weather station but my internet is very poor and not online continually., so no station reporting for me. nice yard
thank you....kinda dry now...but, rain will be here soon enough....i prefer the rainy season....much more moderate temps...april is the hottest month here...