phase linear 400

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Damn, Oliver Douglas of Green Acres fame was my first thought.
It is in fact the exact model Oliver had. Fordson F. They re-badged it as “Hoyt-Clagwell” for the show.

dont k ow what’s up with pics. Internet all messed up here rn.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
ahhh...ok....i think now they have affiliation in india...
a little fair came to town a few years back....and one of the rides was powered by some type of 4 cylinder lister...it was embossed on the motor...
thanks for the history lesson!!!!
Indian manufacturers bought the patents for
Lister and Ruston, new engines are produced to this day.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
These amps are not Cut and Dry kits.... They take a fair amount of fingering/cutting/drilling/fuckin with to get them right. If you don't have the touch, you'll have trouble from day one. They don't just slap together.

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
These amps are not Cut and Dry kits.... They take a fair amount of fingering/cutting/drilling/fuckin with to get them right. If you don't have the touch, you'll have trouble from day one. They don't just slap together.
kinda like being married....i would think...

ABebar

Journeyman
I seldom get things correct the first time. Never give up, keep trying and learning. Now Adam is set to build a 700. He'll probably want a break to enjoy his 400 first. Congratulations!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. It sounds great. Feels like unlimited clean power on tap. Kinda wish my speakers weren't so efficient ;-)
My next little project is going to be to upgrade this Rotel Phono preamp. Having a bit of trouble locating a suitable opamp to fit the design. Apparently op-amps from the mid '90s are hard to come by. Thankfully Perry is helping me out.
I'll dig into a 700 the next rainy day weekend. It could be a little while.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and wealth of knowledge! I would still be starting at my (incorrectly measured) bias voltage without your assistance!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. It sounds great. Feels like unlimited clean power on tap. Kinda wish my speakers weren't so efficient ;-)
My next little project is going to be to upgrade this Rotel Phono preamp. Having a bit of trouble locating a suitable opamp to fit the design. Apparently op-amps from the mid '90s are hard to come by. Thankfully Perry is helping me out.
I'll dig into a 700 the next rainy day weekend. It could be a little while.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement and wealth of knowledge! I would still be starting at my (incorrectly measured) bias voltage without your assistance!

Whats the issue with the speaker efficiency???? You need the Gain board for your pre to keep it all in the "Sweet Spot" on the volume pots.

ABebar

Journeyman
I have four sets of speakers in this room, all rated at or over 90db sensitivity. Now that I have all this power I want some hard to drive speakers to dominate!
Klipsch KLF 20, Klipsch Forte I, Polk RTA 15tl, and Polk monitor 10.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have five sets of speakers in this room, all rated at or over 90db sensitivity. Now that I have all this power I want some hard to drive speakers to dominate!

I want some hard to drive speakers to dominate!

HUH????? Now you are starting to sound like....................................... never mind

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have four sets of speakers in this room, all rated at or over 90db sensitivity. Now that I have all this power I want some hard to drive speakers to dominate!

If you look at the Owner Manual for PL Pre's (Some not all), Buffalo Bob and his minions recommend changing the gain of the preamp to counter the efficient speakers. It show's you how to address that issue in the manual and that is why I designed the adjustable gain board for the pre's I mod. It works perfect. Sometimes you gotta play.

George S.

Joe - can you elaborate here? Anything that I can check/verify to indicate whether it is a preamp coupling issue? I have literally a stack of pre's right here that are not currently hooked up to anything. Beyond clearing up the potential VU meter short, do you have any other suggestions for me?
There are test tone clips on YouTube that work well for annoying family members and the neighbors.
Do a search for subwoofer test tones. 10-60 Hz or greater stepped tones will give you a good idea of what your speakers will do. Or download a tone app on your phone and plug it in.
Personally, I find the 10-30 Hz tones extremely irritating and filter those out using the MiniDsp active crossover.
I have gone as far as running REW, doing all the room measurements, loading the results into the MiniDsp software, and had a highly refined but somehow lacking system. Now I just run my big JBL floor standers straight through with no processing, and the subs just get active crossover filtering. No extra BS equalizing and biquad numbers and all that extra home theater biz. The systems raw, open, and sounds great, the way it should. Clean, clear, distortion free, unlimited power over the spectrums I choose.

ABebar

Journeyman
I listened to Valerie for 8 hours last night. My ears are still ringing, but it was glorious. She really brings every kind of music to life. I'm surprised at how much I prefer the Acurus over the modded C1. I do miss the C1 phono pre though. The Mani 2 is competent, but a bit recessed compared to the C1 performance. I need to get that Rotel up and running as quickly as possible. I spent most of the night digging up SACD's to play with hi-res Tidal streaming in between.

Now I'm looking for a perfect set of loudspeakers to pair with her. Any suggestions?