phase linear 200 recap

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
eds reply...i asked if he was old phaser and was he sure the 4700 would work....he ignored the old phaser part...ebay reports his location...
ubicacion is spanish for location ..

Mensaje nuevo de: fantasiaaudio (12,400
)

Any cap above 3000 mfd 80volt min that you can fit will work. I stock 4700mfd For some old Dynaco amps and have sold about 4 or 5 pair for use in the PL200 over the years. I am and ex Dynaco and Hafler engineer and know the amps produced in the 70s and 80s. I did converse with engineers from Phase and others at the audio shows and conventions in that Era . The only people in those days who offered high power amps wereDynaco, Phase, and Crown. Those were the days. Ed
Ed Would know for this amp and Most Amps and Receivers can take bigger caps if the transformer can handle the incoming rush of current. w the bigger caps will also improve the sound of the amp and adding a new cap will also do it , a win win and a cheap upgrade. if you decide to do it the caps, You will have to be put them in the correct way . so Good document and take pics of the caps and pay attention to the dot on the caps and were it is related to the bus bar.

Tagline

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Ed Would know for this amp and Most Amps and Receivers can take bigger caps if the transformer can handle the incoming rush of current. w the bigger caps will also improve the sound of the amp and adding a new cap will also do it , a win win and a cheap upgrade. if you decide to do it the caps, You will have to be put them in the correct way . so Good document and take pics of the caps and pay attention to the dot on the caps and were it is related to the bus bar.
i can do it...i changed out the big caps in th sx1080 and the wo power supply capacitor upgrade kit...
thanks for your concern and advice!!!
thank you...thank you!!!

gene french

Tagline

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Did "Ed" give his last name? Harry Klaus was the last Dynaco engineer I know of. He did the Dynaco 400. Attached is the 200 manual. Read the service bulletin about the 200II driver board. The 200 has an output relay that is far better than the one on that EBAY board. Those contacts will weld. The existing relay will likely weld to if the amp fails in it's usual dramatic fashion. It just stands a better chance of survival.

I don't get Ed's comment about the transformer. Some receivers have a fuse wound in the transformer. No power amp that I've seen has one. The inrush current is only significant for the first few cycles. Attached is a screen shot of a 700 inrush. Yellow is the current, Blue is the secondary (output) voltage. The transformer actually limits the current. You couldn't cycle the amp off and on fast enough to hurt the transformer.

Attachments

George S.

eds reply...i asked if he was old phaser and was he sure the 4700 would work....he ignored the old phaser part...ebay reports his location...
ubicacion is spanish for location ..

Mensaje nuevo de: fantasiaaudio (12,400
)

Any cap above 3000 mfd 80volt min that you can fit will work. I stock 4700mfd For some old Dynaco amps and have sold about 4 or 5 pair for use in the PL200 over the years. I am and ex Dynaco and Hafler engineer and know the amps produced in the 70s and 80s. I did converse with engineers from Phase and others at the audio shows and conventions in that Era . The only people in those days who offered high power amps wereDynaco, Phase, and Crown. Those were the days. Ed
Thanks.

gene french

Tagline
Did "Ed" give his last name? Harry Klaus was the last Dynaco engineer I know of. He did the Dynaco 400. Attached is the 200 manual. Read the service bulletin about the 200II driver board. The 200 has an output relay that is far better than the one on that EBAY board. Those contacts will weld. The existing relay will likely weld to if the amp fails in it's usual dramatic fashion. It just stands a better chance of survival.

I don't get Ed's comment about the transformer. Some receivers have a fuse wound in the transformer. No power amp that I've seen has one. The inrush current is only significant for the first few cycles. Attached is a screen shot of a 700 inrush. Yellow is the current, Blue is the secondary (output) voltage. The transformer actually limits the current. You couldn't cycle the amp off and on fast enough to hurt the transformer.
thank you so much for the manual....i could not find it anywhere...except for 10 bucks on ebay...

Tagline

Thanks Looks like a Nice little amp
Gene you might want to see if the relay turns on/off and see if the contracts move (if Yes , this should eliminate the Turn On and Off thump)

gene french

Tagline
Thanks Looks like a Nice little amp
Gene you might want to see if the relay turns on/off and see if the contracts move (if Yes , this should eliminate the Turn On and Off thump)
i have used this amp for the last few years...
kinda inherited it...from a friend...initially the relay hummed...until i cleaned ir and added a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil...its not really a thump as in the 400...non issue for me...the sx makes a similar noise when its relay clicks on...and thank you!!

George S.

On the storage caps. Note the capacity and voltage, then measure length and diameter, and note the connector. Write all this down.
Next, go to Mouser Electronics, and Digikey Electronics, and learn how to use their search tools to find a replacement cap. Pull up the data sheet, and learn how to read it and what it all means.
This is something you need to learn how to do. Any questions please ask. Lots of guys here have mastered this and can guide you.

George S.

True.

Very frustrating the first few times, but you get the hang of it eventually.

TIP: Use the category filters for each column (arrows at the top), to help you decide.
Yup, and the first parameter I would select would be capacitance, then voltage, hoping someone still makes a suitable cap. Think I'd want screw terminals on mine to accept wire ring terminals.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yup, and the first parameter I would select would be capacitance, then voltage, hoping someone still makes a suitable cap. Think I'd want screw terminals on mine to accept wire ring terminals.
If they are 10mm spacing, I have a way to fix that :)

gene french

Tagline
On the storage caps. Note the capacity and voltage, then measure length and diameter, and note the connector. Write all this down.
Next, go to Mouser Electronics, and Digikey Electronics, and learn how to use their search tools to find a replacement cap. Pull up the data sheet, and learn how to read it and what it all means.
This is something you need to learn how to do. Any questions please ask. Lots of guys here have mastered this and can guide you.
thank you...i certainly will...