phase linear 200 recap

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Gene has some acid brushes headed his way. Lee gave me a great hint when I was doing my 700 with 99% isopropyl and a toothbrush. Use a acid brush snd shorten the bristles and they're stiffer, work great for cleaning off flux. Finish that other channel, order some new storage caps, and she'll sing at least for another couple decades. That's a good start on the amp and a enjoyable thread!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
25 years....never needed to clean any of them....
this is beyond my job description....
i am certainly happy to provide you with your daily dose of scolding me....
i was wondering if you felt bad....
i am relieved now....
lol
appreciate the advise...sniff....

Not scolding..... So no, I don't feel bad

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Gene has some acid brushes headed his way. Lee gave me a great hint when I was doing my 700 with 99% isopropyl and a toothbrush. Use a acid brush snd shorten the bristles and they're stiffer, work great for cleaning off flux. Finish that other channel, order some new storage caps, and she'll sing at least for another couple decades. That's a good start on the amp and a enjoyable thread!
that is what i originally used...isopropyl and a tooth brush....did nothing...added acetone....again did nothing....i have already shortened the bristles on the toothbrush....only thing that would cut that stuff was scraping it off....came off in flakes...like dried scape...then i used the small brass brush...
i will send pics of the other board....its maybe a little worst....i dont know if that was factory scale or a repairman after the fact....
some places are better than others...
i can assure you...there are no missing traces...and no tin whiskers...and no cold solder joints....i retouched every stinkin one of them....
this board has wider traces that the 400....not much trouble with lifted pads...and was watching closely....even the old spotlight behind the board...
i will write fantasiaaudio....see if he can scrounge up some new caps...
thanks for the advice....ALL OF YOU!!!....i did more closely examine the caps....i dont directly see leakage...but, it is awfully trashy....and a new set certainly would not hurt anything....lol

gene french

Tagline
Not scolding..... So no, I don't feel bad
lol....
i am sure you dont...
but, i do appreciate your advise...you are probably the most knowledgable solder guy on the forum....
and good ole constructive criticism goes a long way....in the learning process!!!
take care

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

gene french

Tagline
lol....
i am sure you dont...
but, i do appreciate your advise...you are probably the most knowledgable solder guy on the forum....
and good ole constructive criticism goes a long way....in the learning process!!!
take care
i think you missed the point....i was wondering if you felt bad...because its been a few days since you fussed at me...
you know....kinda like pent up stuff...lol
i was not referring to you feeling bad for fussin....
i was referring to you feeling bad for NOT fussin...in a few day...
lololol
i still love ya...

gene french

Tagline
White Grease on the rectifier??? OK, we prefer the heat sink compound since white grease won't help. Dayam
it was heat sink compound...
i put between the external heat sink and the back wall....as the boards are connected perpendicular to the heat sink....and the whole assembly slips in from the back and is bolted with 4 screws to the back wall....nothing like the 400//700
not to worry.;...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
the white grease when heated up by the function of the amp will melt that crap and it will get all over. Plus, its conductive so that could KABOOM

gene french

Tagline
is that white grease under the clips that wick heat off the diodes?
that too is heat sink compound....the old one was all dried and flaking off...never seen 3 diodes heat sinked in that fashion....
but, now i have...
i cleaned them up...checked the diodes and put new on..with new heat sink compound ....
dad said to always leave something just as you found it...

gene french

Tagline
do you think that scratchy noise and popping on start up could be the caps charging and leaking....
i was informed almost anything could cause that....
i think this amp is full complimentary....i see two and two...if i understand being a combo of pnp and npn
there are no bias nor offset nor center voltages to set...
as you can see....this unit looks to be more mature....

gene french

Tagline
we used a lot of the heatsink compound in the computer business....those cpu run extremely hot....i mean leave your skin on top of the chip hot...
at first it was just heatsinked....in later editions they mounted fans on the heatsinks....dell even build chambers around the cpu where air was tunnelled in and exhausted....not to be confused with the power supply fan...
of course i am sure you guys all know that too...
just sayin...
for a friend...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
PL200's (especially series 1's) don't have a following here. I dumped mine as a freebie a LONG time ago. Gotta run, got the tornado warnings going crazy... Just waiting for the Horns to sound at the fire department down the street. Maybe it will help me move back to Az

I put cash and guns down stairs along with the beer and stereo system. Expecting straight line winds too FUCKIN-A

George S.

Sometimes it's best to take a small jewelers flat tip screwdriver and start carefully pushing and scraping that old flux off. It usually shears off in good sized pieces because it's so old and hard. Then clean normally. Just wear eye protection. Those flux chip can be sharp.

gene french

Tagline
Sometimes it's best to take a small jewelers flat tip screwdriver and start carefully pushing and scraping that old flux off. It usually shears off in good sized pieces because it's so old and hard. Then clean normally. Just wear eye protection. Those flux chip can be sharp.
got a set of those...will give it a shot on the other board...appreciate you