phase linear 200 recap

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Sometimes it's best to take a small jewelers flat tip screwdriver and start carefully pushing and scraping that old flux off. It usually shears off in good sized pieces because it's so old and hard. Then clean normally. Just wear eye protection. Those flux chip can be sharp.
"Just wear eye protection." Somewhere in the '80s i got a solder blob in my eye. I recovered ok. Since then I have safety glasses on for most everything I do. Weed eater, chain saw, it's safety glasses and face shield. You don't always get a second chance.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
good morning....
well got the left channel cleaned up...touched up....and recapped....no issues....
much easier the second time around....
just gotta put the diode heat sink back and mount it up....
connect a few wires....
then wait for the fireworks...
well, thats usually what happens....
lol
i will send a few more pics...

gene french

Tagline
just heard back from mr. ed...
this is what he had to say about the caps...
opinions, please
The only this I have in stock that people have been using for your application. is 4700 100 volt snap in type. See pictures and let me know which ones you want. One is 1-3/8 OD x 1-5/8 high. The other is 1-3/16 OD by 2 inch high. Either will perform with the small diameter 2 dollars less per piece. You will have to bend the clamp for the longer cap as the OD is 3/16 less. Let me know Ed
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283518677935?hash=item420307b3af:g:3JoAAMXQq8BQ9MDL

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
just heard back from mr. ed...
this is what he had to say about the caps...
opinions, please
The only this I have in stock that people have been using for your application. is 4700 100 volt snap in type. See pictures and let me know which ones you want. One is 1-3/8 OD x 1-5/8 high. The other is 1-3/16 OD by 2 inch high. Either will perform with the small diameter 2 dollars less per piece. You will have to bend the clamp for the longer cap as the OD is 3/16 less. Let me know Ed
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283518677935?hash=item420307b3af:g:3JoAAMXQq8BQ9MDL
Wow you did a Amazing job cleaning it up. Looks great
New caps - looks like a deal their! (and a bigger value than the Original) I never saw a 200 w a front Led panel, was that common?

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
do you think that scratchy noise and popping on start up could be the caps charging and leaking....
i was informed almost anything could cause that....
i think this amp is full complimentary....i see two and two...if i understand being a combo of pnp and npn
there are no bias nor offset nor center voltages to set...
as you can see....this unit looks to be more mature....
Gene does it still do this?

George S.

Very neat and professional work there Gene. Now we know what a 200 looks like inside. Great job. Hope you got a lot of satisfaction and pride for saving that old classic piece of audio history! Thanks for sharing with us.

gene french

Tagline
Very neat and professional work there Gene. Now we know what a 200 looks like inside. Great job. Hope you got a lot of satisfaction and pride for saving that old classic piece of audio history! Thanks for sharing with us.
thank you...and a lot of practice...

gene french

Tagline
New caps - looks like a deal their! (and a bigger value than the Original) I never saw a 200 w a front Led panel, was that common?
i really dont know....this is the first one i have had....i know series II...is just a blank front...or thats what i see on ebay....
i do a daily search for phase linear...just to keep up....

gene french

Tagline
does anybody know if these 4700s will work in place of the 3000 power supply caps???
i read what he said...but for it to be true...i need to hear it at least twice....
i do the same thing asking directions....here, people are so afraid to offend you...they will make up stuff rather than saying they dont know...
i go with the third similar directions....lol

gene french

Tagline
eds reply...i asked if he was old phaser and was he sure the 4700 would work....he ignored the old phaser part...ebay reports his location...
ubicacion is spanish for location ..

Mensaje nuevo de: fantasiaaudio (12,400
)

Any cap above 3000 mfd 80volt min that you can fit will work. I stock 4700mfd For some old Dynaco amps and have sold about 4 or 5 pair for use in the PL200 over the years. I am and ex Dynaco and Hafler engineer and know the amps produced in the 70s and 80s. I did converse with engineers from Phase and others at the audio shows and conventions in that Era . The only people in those days who offered high power amps wereDynaco, Phase, and Crown. Those were the days. Ed

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
eds reply...i asked if he was old phaser and was he sure the 4700 would work....he ignored the old phaser part...ebay reports his location...
ubicacion is spanish for location ..

Mensaje nuevo de: fantasiaaudio (12,400
)

Any cap above 3000 mfd 80volt min that you can fit will work. I stock 4700mfd For some old Dynaco amps and have sold about 4 or 5 pair for use in the PL200 over the years. I am and ex Dynaco and Hafler engineer and know the amps produced in the 70s and 80s. I did converse with engineers from Phase and others at the audio shows and conventions in that Era . The only people in those days who offered high power amps wereDynaco, Phase, and Crown. Those were the days. Ed
Ed is living in NW Connecticut the last time we exchanged emails.