Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Besides, doesn't it have handles?????
Which is why you solder the nuts on the backside of the backplane boards
Just hit me as being a little fishy, worried about stress during the “insert bottom row only” during the initial startup and tests. Just have to be careful!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Just hit me as being a little fishy, worried about stress during the “insert bottom row only” during the initial startup and tests. Just have to be careful!
That is what the assembly aid hardware kit is for Mark. To tie in the top row at the same time as you are putting the bottom transistors in.

#6 SS flat washers, #6 nylon washers and the socket head screws.

MarkWComer

Tagline
That is what the assembly aid hardware kit is for Mark. To tie in the top row at the same time as you are putting the bottom transistors in.

#6 SS flat washers, #6 nylon washers and the socket head screws.
(I didn't read that far into the process yet...)
(The 400s have screw mounted heat sinks...)

MarkWComer

Tagline
Somebody expand my knowledge and understanding here...

B+ and B- fused, B+ and B- unfused...

It doesn’t make sense to me to feed unfused power into a circuit. It seems to me that if there’s a failure in a circuit, you’d want a fuse to take the brunt of the failure. When a failure occurs, current is still applied if it’s unfused, correct?

One of those mysterious things I just don’t get!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Somebody expand my knowledge and understanding here...

B+ and B- fused, B+ and B- unfused...

It doesn’t make sense to me to feed unfused power into a circuit. It seems to me that if there’s a failure in a circuit, you’d want a fuse to take the brunt of the failure. When a failure occurs, current is still applied if it’s unfused, correct?

One of those mysterious things I just don’t get!
The fuses for the unfused lines are the picofuses on the backplanes. PL did not have these (it was really unfused except for the main AC fuse) but if you use the WO backplanes, you get this protection level. You are using the WO backplanes so you do not need to be concerned about this.

MarkWComer

Tagline
The fuses for the unfused lines are the picofuses on the backplanes. PL did not have these (it was really unfused except for the main AC fuse) but if you use the WO backplanes, you get this protection level. You are using the WO backplanes so you do not need to be concerned about this.
So- originally another opportunity to live up to the moniker "Blaze Linear!"

MarkWComer

Tagline
So... moving the project back to the front burner, sorry for the time lapse...

Ordered the G1 driver circuit, so the E circuit will be inherited by the 400, will have a D* circuit up for grabs if anyone's curious.

I'm really dissatisfied with my power infrastructure wiring, so I sent a message to NavLinear for that nice teflon insulated stuff. Scrapping all the wiring I did in favor of the nice stuff- hey, if I have all this invested into the circuit boards, it only seems right to do a good job on the infrastructure!

So I noticed somewhere that a ceramic disc cap was installed on the power switch- what's the value of this cap so I can order one?

*- has been repaired, built for full comp. Has the old obsolete gallium transistors installed.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Just wondering...

What is the current draw of the Watts Abundant protection circuit for the 700?